Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Ok....this is just a theoretical question at this point.

I have spent the last couple of weeks going through the "raise PH through aeration, lower PH and TA by adding acid" process. I got my TA to 80 which is where it needs to be. My PH was 7.4 this morning and I am running my fountain today to bring the PH back up to the 7.6-7.8 range where it should be.

Here is where the "theoretical" part comes in. I will assume that the PH may climb above the acceptable range as kids play in the pool and aerate it or if I run the fountain to help keep the temp of the water down once the summer sun starts to warm things up. I don't know that this will happen, but based off of my limited (3 weeks) experience with this pool, it appears that the PH is prone to climb easily with aeration and I have read that aeration is a great way to help keep the temp of the water down in the hot summer months. Right now my water is 82 and I have only seen it climb to 86 prior to the last cool rain we had that dropped it back.

Assuming that does happen, is there a way to lower the PH without effecting the TA?

Also, now that I have the TA in the upper end of the acceptable range will the PH be more resistant to change? (it was at 130 at it's highest)

Just thinking ahead and trying to stay on top of things.

Adding acid always will affect the TA. If it gets too low, just add a little baking soda which has a VERY small affect on the pH.

With a SWG, I would try to get it down to 60-70ppm myself to slow the pH rise due to the SWG.

Adding acid always will affect the TA. If it gets too low, just add a little baking soda which has a VERY small affect on the pH.

With a SWG, I would try to get it down to 60-70ppm myself to slow the pH rise due to the SWG.

Thanks....I don't think it will be too difficult to get in the 60-70 range on TA, I just stopped the process after I finally hit the upper end of the recommended range. A couple of days of lowering PH after it has gotten too high should do it. I have baking soda, so I will give that a try once I get to that point.

Right now I am just enjoying the fact that the water is sparkling and crystal clear. It's as close to balanced as anyone could hope for, thanks entirely in part to the great information that I have gotten from this site. Every ABP that I have had prior to this one ended up be a green frog pond in a matter of weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.