"BBB" or "What are all these pool chemicals?"

Evan, just wanted to point out for any newcomers who stop in. . .

CYA is not needed for an indoor pool. Unstabilized chlorine is broken down by the UV radiation in sunlight; even if your pool bldg has skylights/windows, insufficient UV will pass thru to cause the rapid degradation of the chlorine which occurs in outdoor pools.

This is of course good since it means less chlorine usage and no CYA to buy. BUT the drawback is that UV radiation not only breaks down the GOOD CL (FC) but also the BAD CL (CC). CC's can be very difficult to eliminate from indoor pools! Instead one must plan ahead in order to PREVENT CC buildup. The use of an enzyme treatment (such as Pool Perfect) and/or non-chlorine shock work with the chlorine to break down and remove organic wastes, which otherwise lead to CC accumulation.

More details are in the "Indoor Pools" thread. . .

No, I didn't forget to put this in my previous post, just thought it ought to be by itself so it didn't get lost. . .

I've always seen washing soda (yes, Arm & Hammer) in a yellow box. Just wanted to make sure that was out there if someone was going nuts trying to find a blue box of washing soda!!

Washing soda and borax are also good for adding to grated soap to make your own laundry soap. . . but that's OT.

For an alternative perspective on using CYA in indoor pools, see my comments in this post. I know that my wife would really appreciate lower disinfecting chlorine levels in the indoor pool (with no CYA) she uses during the winter -- her swimsuits degrade over just one winter! In our own outdoor pool (with CYA) there is no noticeable degradation of her swimsuits whatsoever.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.