Low Chlorine Issues

Mar 18, 2013
Hello,

A friend of mine has a 26k gallon pool with a pebble surface type finish. She installed a salt system in the last year and claims she may have inadvertently left it off for an extended period, thinking it was on. Because the finish is dark in appearance, she didn't notice the algae for some time. Upon having her water tested, she was told she had a very low chlorine problem. In addition to the chemicals needed to balance the water, she was told she would need to drain half of the pool (13k gallons). I asked if she had a high stabilizer reading, but she doesn't recall hearing that. I didn't know what else she may having going on that might have prompted them to instruct her to drain half the pool? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Jeff

Hello,

A friend of mine has a 26k gallon pool with a pebble surface type finish. She installed a salt system in the last year and claims she may have inadvertently left it off for an extended period, thinking it was on. Because the finish is dark in appearance, she didn't notice the algae for some time. Upon having her water tested, she was told she had a very low chlorine problem. In addition to the chemicals needed to balance the water, she was told she would need to drain half of the pool (13k gallons). I asked if she had a high stabilizer reading, but she doesn't recall hearing that. I didn't know what else she may having going on that might have prompted them to instruct her to drain half the pool? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Jeff

Time for a test kit and good numbers ..... then we will get her squared away!

^^^ Yup. ^^^
Only way to figure out what is going on is by posting test results using one of the Recommended Test Kits. I would suggest not listening to any of the advice the pool store is feeding her.

Ok thanks. I'll try to get her aboard with a proper test kit. I already know about that because I've been here before with issues in my own pool...Which by the way, I no longer have thanks to you good folks!:D

But until I can get her squared away with testing her water properly, I'd like to at least post the results she's received so far to give a general idea? It's really warm here in northern Calif. at the moment, and the Green Army is mobilizing in serious numbers as we speak!

Ok thanks. I'll try to get her aboard with a proper test kit. I already know about that because I've been here before with issues in my own pool...Which by the way, I no longer have thanks to you good folks!:D

But until I can get her squared away with testing her water properly, I'd like to at least post the results she's received so far to give a general idea? It's really warm here in northern Calif. at the moment, and the Green Army is mobilizing in serious numbers as we speak!

Post away .... the only caveat is that in order to really help it is critical to know the CYA level and pool store results are notoriously inaccurate so if you base your chemical additions on faulty numbers it may not help at all .... and could actually hurt.

Have her order a kit today and she will have it in a couple of days and be ready to roll .... in the meantime have her stock up on bleach or liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.