pentair dynamo pump issues

Jun 11, 2014
masury,ohio
Hello new to the forum here and looking for some advice. My 1.5hp dynamo pump started humming the other day. I have taken it apart and found this motor has no capacitor which would have been the easy fix. I can get the motor to start with impeller off but have to help the motor by spinning the shaft. although there is something wrong there it would be fine with me if that's all i had to do. My real issue comes when i put the impeller back on. It screws too tight against the diffuser causing it to rub. I am wondering if it could be the spring loaded seal is worn down? The motor, impeller,and diffuser seem to be in very good condition as well as the seal but i don't know Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

It would be odd if it were the seal but it certainly could bind the impeller if there was some buildup.

The problem of the motor not starting by itself is probably the centrifugal switch. It's located near the back of the motor around the shaft. Cleaning up the contacts will probably solve that problem.

thank you very much for your quick response. I did clean up the inside and switch and it kicks on after a slow startup of about 2 seconds. I installed a new seal and still have the problem of the impeller being too tight to diffuser...when i tighten down impeller the motor is way too tight when turning shaft from rear of motor... Please help me before i rip my hair out!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.