Small debris getting back into the pool!

Jul 17, 2013
I have a small 16x48 ultra frame pool. When I am vacuuming, small debris shoots right back into the pool through the return hose on the side of the pool. I have made sure the filter cartridge is clean and even put in a new one. I ended up attaching the cloth bag they provide for the top of the vacuum to use if you are cleaning using the water hose attached. I put the cloth baggie over the return spout and it catches the debris. I have to stop half way through to clean the bag because it gets lined with teeny tiny debris and it doesn't allow water to flow. I thought to perhaps use a knee high stocking in hopes that it's more porous than the cloth, but I haven't tried it yet. This isn't the end of the world and the baggie works well, it just seems like I am working harder than I should have to! lol I have looked for similar issues but there aren't any that pertain to my situation....a lot of people talk about 'filter gauges' but my cheap little pool doesn't have that.....Any thoughts?

Debris getting through the filter means something is broken. The most likely possibility is that there is a tear in the filter cartridge. It is also possible that something inside the filter is broken or there could be something wrong with the main valve that is allowing water to bypass the filter.

Mine does the same, even with a brand new filter. I haven't tried to remedy the problem, it doesn't bother me that much. But I like the idea of putting the bag over the return, I'm gonna try that next time I vac.

Debris getting through the filter means something is broken. The most likely possibility is that there is a tear in the filter cartridge. It is also possible that something inside the filter is broken or there could be something wrong with the main valve that is allowing water to bypass the filter.

This is only my second year owning a pool, so bare with me....the filter having a tear, that's the filter cannister that I put in the skimmer, correct? I put a new one in last night and it still leaked the debris. When you say something being wrong with the main valve...what do you mean? My pool is pretty simple. It has the cannister filter that lightly snaps onto the bottom of the skimmer can and then under that is the pump....am I missing something in between? :confused:

My opinion is it is a design flaw in the intex cartridge filter/pump combo systems. I don't think there is anything you can do to the filter to make it work better, other than replace it with a better quality pump and filter.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm super happy with my Intex sand filter for the price. If you get just the filter (not the combo unit I have) it's pretty cheap. I have found 1600 gph to be plenty for my 14' x 48". I like the combo filter/SWG but plenty of folks will disagree and argue that separates are better. <shrugs>

Next time I might upgrade, but I won't until this one dies.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.