Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New spa has very weak jets. Any advice?

1. Back To Top    #1

New spa has very weak jets. Any advice?

This is a new spa and is an owner/build. I have finally gotten the spa jet internals installed in my spa and the pressure is pitiful. The spa return line has more power than the jets. It is an 8' diameter spa with 6 jets. It has it's own 2.5 HP whisperflo pump. I checked online and found a spa schematic and it is plumbed like that one. It only has 2 PVC pipe going into/out of it. One is the spa drain,the other the spa jets. The spa is plumbed is 2.5" flex spa tubing and 2" PVC lines. I can feel the spa drain pulling strong. The jets do not have good power with or without the jet fittings in place. I have a blower but even with that the power is very weak. Are their values or anything that I need to move in order to get power from the jets. There are no valves on the spa pump or plumbing, and since it is seperate from the pool I can't think how it would help to move valves around on the rest of the pool. Any advice? I can post pics if that will help. Thank you as always for any help.
    Owner/Builder- Pool under construction- Started 4/18/08
    20X40 freeform 3 1/2" to 8 1/2' deep
    elevated 8' spa w/ spillover
    Plaster: Undecided
    Pentair intelliflo
    Pentair intellichlor
    Pentair Mastertemp 400,000 BTU gas heater
    Pentair Triton II 30" sand filter
    LED (probably colorlogic) 3 in main pool and 1 in spa
    Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
    Control System: Still working on this Intellitouch I guess but don't know all the components I need yet.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New spa has very weak jets. Any advice?

What is the design flow rate for your jets? Also, how long are the 2" pipe runs from the pump to the spa?

Jets come in a number of different sizes/flow rates. Six high flow rate jets would be a problem with that setup, though six medium or low flow rates jets should be fine as long as the pipe runs aren't too long.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have enough voltage at the pump? This could be a problem if your wiring is too small for the electrical load AND the run of wire is long.

I actually doubt this is your problem, but thought I'd throw that out there.
    Scott

27'x52" AG Vogue Impact, Waterway Cyclone 200 cartridge filter, Waterway pump w/2 HP 2-sp motor, 8mil solar cover, Raypak 206 nat gas heater, Pool Rover Jr.

4. Back To Top    #4

If I'm reading your post correctly it sounds like you have 1 designated return and the 6 jets. Without a valve to kill some of the water to the return line, the jets aren't getting enough water to properly do their job Any chance of restricting the flow from the fill line (return) so that the back pressure will force more water through the jets? If it has a 1 1/2" female tread you could use a SP 1419B inlet to probably cause much better flow out of the jets. If you can't do that, you'll have to install a valve to boost the pressure coming out of the jets. If you can post a pic of the spa pump and the return line and jet line, I can probably tell you where and how to install the valve
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)