Dodged a bullet?

waterbug

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Richmond, Va
So after using BBB for about 5 years and then granular stuff for a few years to avoid all those bleach bottles, we went to the local pool store and got talked into Bacquacil. :pale:

Haven't started it yet and became increasingly reluctant to do so after reading more about it on this forum.
Decided last night to try to sell the Bacquacil stuff and stick with the bleach. I feel so much better :D.

Using the granular stuff has left us with a high CYA of about 100 so that will take some time to come down I guess. What level should I keep the FC at to deal with this?

Do you have a good test kit?

If your CYA is 100 (most if not all tests are not accurate @ or above 100...it's likely higher). You need to drain off some of the water.

Do not be tempted by the Dark Side! CYA ain't gonna magically come down on it's own. It is not consumed and does not evaporate. Partial drains are the only option. Welcome..........Back! Please tell me you have one of the recommended test kits from way back when?

Absolutely! I have a Taylor testing kit and I get my refills from Dave here. :cool:
I figured I'd have to get rid of some water and refill. Just wasn't sure how high I should
get the chlorine in the meantime.
Yes, that dark side almost got me :puker:

Mix a cup of pool water with a cup of tap water and use it to do the CYA test. Read the result then double it to get a ballpark idea how high the CYA really could be. If you don't want to deal with liquid chlorine you may want to invest in an SWG.

Your pool is small enough to use the intex SWG. They are less than $200 at most places and you can usually find them at lower prices on line. A lot of folks with permanent AGPs are using them.

I have read here that $2 per day for chlorine is typical. If you conservatively estimate 100 days per year that would be $800 in chlorine over 4 years. Get the SWG and you won't be sorry. Especially if the intex will work for you that's a no brainier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.