PH Up vs Borax

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
My Taylor test kit shows my ph is below the lowest level on the scale. The tested water has a slight brown color to it.

What's the difference between adding PH Up (that Walmart sells) versus Borax. I'm honestly not sure where I would even find borax...

Thanks
Dan

pH Up contains sodium carbonate (a.k.a., washing soda or soda ash) which is more effective in raising pH vs. Borax. Therefore, to raise the pH to a given target level you would use about one-half the amount of pH Up (by weight) compared to Borax.

Thanks! Very helpful.

Should I post my TA number prior to adding anything to raise the ph??? I can do a full range of tests tonight...

Also, if the tested water is slightly brown - could that be an indication the ph reagent is going bad??

Taylor K-2006 Test Kit. The reagent is about a year old.

I'm going to buy a ph test strip kit at Walmart to double check. Both my wife and I agreed the color was on the brown side.

What's weird is that my ph was about 7.2 a few weeks ago accoridng to my test kit. I verified that at the local pool store as well. Now the color doesn't even register on my test. Something must be wrong with the reagent.

Should I clean out the large test tube with something to make sure there is no residual chemicals/reagents in there?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.