HELP!!! - Pool over chlorinated

norwei

May 22, 2014
Brentwood, CA
Hi folks, I need some guidance. I asked my lovely wife to buy Chlorox bleach because it has been so many days and my FC is still 0. I have been doing the chlorine test using the TFT100 kit since I filled up the pool with water. I have the SWG running every night. It has been in the 90s and 100s since I finished filling up the pool and running the pump filter and SWG. So I am thinking that the sun is really eating up all the chlorine generated by the SWG. And hence, I am thinking of using the bleach to up my FC level.

Now here's the issue. My wife bought a 121 oz jug of Chlorox from HD during lunch time. And she didn't wait for me to get home and emptied all the contents into the pool. I used the pool calculator and based on that with an 18' x 48" pool, we should have just used 1/3 of the jug. So what do I do now? Just let the level go down on its own? And if so, how long will that take? She has planned a pool party with our 9yr old daughter and friends this Thursday because school is out.

It shouldn't be a big deal. I come up with a total FC of about 11 added. If you have no CYA, FC is probably already down to 9 already. If you have more than 30 CYA, it's safe to swim in the pool now.

If you've added salt and added CYA and the SWG is running, you should have enough FC to not need supplemental bleach. The fact that it ran down to zero is a huge red flag. Either something isn't working right or something is eating the chlorine. A set of test results and a summary of what you've added and how long ago will help figure out what's going on. Don't wait until a problem becomes noticeable by murky water.

Assuming a pool volume of about 7,600 gallons, 121 oz of 8.25 % bleach would raise the fc to about 11. As long as you have at least 30 ppm cya, that's ok to swim. If the cya is less than 30, the fc will drop quite a bit by tomorrow night. If the cyanuric acid level is less than 30, I would recommend raising it.

What is your CYA level? Sounds like you need to SLAM anyway. If your SWG can't keep up you may have a latent algae bloom.

Assuming 7600 gallons, and 8.25% bleach, 121 oz would increase FC to 11. If your CYA is over 20 you didn't even make it to shock level.

Hi folks, I need some guidance. I asked my lovely wife to buy Chlorox bleach because it has been so many days and my FC is still 0. I have been doing the chlorine test using the TFT100 kit since I filled up the pool with water. I have the SWG running every night. It has been in the 90s and 100s since I finished filling up the pool and running the pump filter and SWG. So I am thinking that the sun is really eating up all the chlorine generated by the SWG. And hence, I am thinking of using the bleach to up my FC level.

Now here's the issue. My wife bought a 121 oz jug of Chlorox from HD during lunch time. And she didn't wait for me to get home and emptied all the contents into the pool. I used the pool calculator and based on that with an 18' x 48" pool, we should have just used 1/3 of the jug. So what do I do now? Just let the level go down on its own? And if so, how long will that take? She has planned a pool party with our 9yr old daughter and friends this Thursday because school is out.

Y'all beat me to it!

Last edited:
If you've added salt and added CYA and the SWG is running, you should have enough FC to not need supplemental bleach. The fact that it ran down to zero is a huge red flag. Either something isn't working right or something is eating the chlorine. A set of test results and a summary of what you've added and how long ago will help figure out what's going on. Don't wait until a problem becomes noticeable by murky water.

Since completing the pool last Friday, the only things I have added are salt and CYA prior to today. I started running the SWG over the weekend at night but during the day we hit the 90s and 100s. I only started adding CYA yesterday using the sock/pantyhose over the skimmer because I completed the Hayward skimmer installation on Sunday afternoon.

Hi Norwei! You have chosen the best place to get information and help to take care of your pool. The moderators on this site can and will help you with just about any problem you can perceive! Please take the time and effort to get them the proper information so they can help you. A complete set of testing results is imperative so they can understand your situation. The most important test result right off the bat is your CYA level. If you are adding things without giving us water test results you could be creating problems. Please make sure you are taking accurate tests, read and understand pool school and post your tests each time you post. You can't imagine how much this will help our experts help you! Welcome to TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since completing the pool last Friday, the only things I have added are salt and CYA prior to today. I started running the SWG over the weekend at night but during the day we hit the 90s and 100s. I only started adding CYA yesterday using the sock/pantyhose over the skimmer because I completed the Hayward skimmer installation on Sunday afternoon.
In that case, I would expect the CYA to be too low and the SWG struggling to keep up. Crisis averted.

Richard320, thanks for the reassurance. So last question is should I hold off on running the SWG until my CYA is up to 70-80 and FC is lower to 4-6?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't. Until the CYA level builds up, you'll be losing FC at an alarming rate, way faster than the SWG can produce it. All that bleach your wife dumped in will likely be gone by this time tomorrow and you'll be playing catch-up again. And with a party coming, you want the FC level to be 3 or 4 higher than the usual level anyway.

How much CYA did you add? A pool that size and using a SWG I would assume you would want atleast 3lbs to start that might get you to 50ppm.

CYA can take a full week to show up on test. And it will drop your PH big time!

Make sure your PH is right before you swim! BORAX if needed!

Do not add that all at once. Start with 2 pounds and then test and adjust from there. Trust me! I added the 5 pounds that PoolMath said to add and it was WAY too much. I had to drain half the pool and refill it two times....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.