Patience!

Ron69

Jun 9, 2009
I am to tired to try and come up with a good excuse for letting my pool get this bad. So I'll just be honest and admit I was lazy :) The cover ripped over the winter and I just never managed to get out in the cold and work on it. So now it is a swamp.

Last week:
FC-0
PH-8.0
CYA-0
TA-110
BORATES-10

Three days ago:
cya raised to 55
ph lowered to 7.6
So I began shocking. My wife and I have taking turns testing and adding bleach 24 hours a day. Yes 24 hours a day. (I got stuck with the night shift lol). Our shock level is 17. We have been testing every hour, eventually 2 hours. I have had to clean my filter more times than i can count. We scooped and vac'd everything out before starting.

My problem: 3 days and 37 gallons of 6% later it does not look any better at all. Pic is from today! Am I missing something? Any ideas? I'm wondering if it would be easier and cheaper to just drain and refill pool.

Thanks,
Ron

Love the picture, can't wait to see it transform.

A couple things: organic debris will slow you down tremendously. You need to physically remove as much as you can with the vacuum, or a leaf rake or a leaf grabber. Second, shock level is 22 for 55 CYA.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/75138-Another-swamp-is-it-worth-it-Drain-or-gain
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/76400-Who-s-up-for-a-challenge-Dark-green-monster!
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/77634-Piles-of-leaves-was-that-my-problem

"We scooped and vac'd everything out before starting."
If you like that pic you should have saw they pile of stinking rotting **** we scooped out. We were hauling it away in wheelbarrow loads.

Hmm pool calc says "Shock:17 Mustard Algae Shock:32"

You may have started out with ammonia in that swamp and that would have taken a whole lot of chlorine to get rid of before the chlorine can even start on the algae.

What is your fc and cc like now? How much are you going losing between tests?

We are checking every 3 hours now. It's dropping 3 every 3 hours. Last test Fc 14 cc 3 tc 17.

I really thought I knew a lot about pools until this little experience. My filter got to the point where cleaning wouldn't drop the pressure back down, so I had to buy new filters. A few days ago the pump wouldn't start. Just hummed. Had to replace the capacitor. And today when we turned the pump off to clean filters it did the same thing. Capacitor is good this time though. I can spin the motor easily. So I have just been spinning the motor while hitting the power switch to get it going.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think...hope...maybe...I have seen my first sign of progress. The pool looks the same but when I cleaned the filter it wasn't bright green it was more grayish black. Also I only had to clean the filter twice today. Previously I was cleaning it every 2-3 hours.

It doesn't smell like green Jello!

It really doesn't make sense to me. I would think that the fc loss would steadily decline until it held steady. At the same time the cc would steadily rise. And my filter cleanings would slowly get less frequent.

But it hasn't worked that way at all. The fc loss is declining but not consistently. It might drop 3 one time then 6 the next, and then three again. And the cc is bouncing around from 1 to 4.5. And the filter cleanings ....at first I was cleaning filters every 20 minutes, it slowly got better until yesterday and then suddenly I'm only having to clean them twice a day. I really don't understand it.

- - - Updated - - -

o yeah poolmath says shock is fc22 the chart says 24 so I.m doing fc-23

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.