options for repairing or replacing lights

twd000

Feb 19, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I have a 1977 inground plaster pool. There are two submerged 120V lights; one in the pool, and one in the spa. When I moved in only one of them worked. I pulled both cans out, replaced the bullbs, and reinstalled the cans. There is still a ground fault somewhere in the circuit. I had an electrician come out and spent 4 hours trying to fix it, calling his boss 4x for advice. He gave up and hasn't come back. I called another electrician and he said it sounds like I would have to run new electric supply to both junction boxes. This would involve more ugly surface mount conduit runs, and no guarantee that the other buried part of the run is sound. The damaged section of conduit is buried under concrete; I'm not digging it up.

At this point I could have the new electrician install the two new supply runs and hope that fixes the problem ( and that the run between the junction box and niche does not rust through eventually)

Or investigate other options - I know there are a lot of new products out there, but I'm kind of overwhelmed by the options. I see some powered by the return jets - or a battery-powered LED that you just toss in the pool. These all seem flimsy and prone to failure. Is there a solar-powered option to bring power to the junction box without a conduit run?

I just want to be able to swim at night, I don't care about a dancing disco ball with all sorts of colors. Just two white lights that I can turn on manually when we want to swim at night.

You could try the return jet lights. But I suspect you will find that they are not bright enough for your needs. To get something bright enough for you to enjoy at night you are going to have to bite the bullet and replace the light conduit.

Some pictures with your overall layout would be helpful plus a plot plan. You are heading on 30 years here so some major rehab work may be necessary. Depending on your set up it may be possible to bore under your deck and install new conduit. But it won't be cheap.

Another idea is to find a couple of old pool repair guys in Tucson and ask their opinion or ideas. Have them give you bids. Get the old guys, the ones whose pores ooze chlorine.

So post some pictures and we can make suggestions.

byde9yzu.jpg
se5eraga.jpg
9aquryjy.jpg

You can see the initial box off the main panel (had a gfi but now just a blank plate). That circuit is split to two black junction boxes. Both runs are buried under the concrete decking , I assume the one is right under the fence line. The other is under the landscape bed. The first electrician installed new GFI boxes on each of the black junction boxes, hoping he could isolate the fault. However it still trips when powered. The picture of the sliding glass door shows the nearest viable circuit, more exterior conduit to power overhead lights in the pool barbecue area. I'm open to suggestions

I don't get the total layout but is see your problem.

You may want to cut the concrete and cover with a single course of bricks. For the light you need a clear unobstructed conduit run to the jbox. That may be difficult. I'd go stand out there and try to think creatively.

Did the one light work fine without tripping the GFCI when you first moved in?
Did you replace the lens gasket on the lights when you took them apart?
Are both lights on the same switch?

Did the one light work fine without tripping the GFCI when you first moved in?
Did you replace the lens gasket on the lights when you took them apart?
Are both lights on the same switch?

Yes the one pool light worked fine. The spa light tripped the gfi. Now they both trip it.
Yes, I replaced the gasket and bulb in both lights.
Both lights were on the same switch. The first electrician isolated the fault to the buried conduit by disconnecting the junction boxes. He added two new gfi at the junction boxes, and that didn't fix it. I gave another electrician coming to diagnose the circuit on Tuesday. He won't do any repair on the submerged lights but I can fix that part myself. I need help with the supply circuit.

Are GFCI's installed at the pool deck box? I think you have moisture in your light fixtures, you could take the light fixtures apart and leave them open on your pool deck for a couple days and see if the GFCI will hold.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The second electrician just left, and told me the first electrician's repair solved the circuit problem. He blamed the spa light itself. I fished it out and took it apart, and a couple cups of water spilled out. The fixture is also rusted, and the bulb is burned out. I would like to replace the whole fixture, just to be safe. It is 120V, 500W, R-40 bulb. What are my options for replacing it? The gasket and capture wire seems kind of jenky; is there better sealing technology out there now?

So these no need to replace the conduit unless it's leaking. There is and is supposed to be water in that pipe. Your issue is (as you found) water getting into one or both of the lights. You really need to work with electricians who install pools as the non pool experienced guys don't understand the setups and subtleties if grounding vs bonding etc.

Light replacements are niche specific. Is there anything on your light that indicates the brand and model? You'll need to do some research to find what modern replacements exist that can fit that niche.

DO NOT pull the old light and cable out if the conduit until you for some heavy twine securely to the cable at the junction box. When you pull the old one out that twine follows and then you use the twine to pull the new one back through. It's super easy (you may need some electrical line for this though).

If you don't feel comfortable - ie safe - around electricity find a guy with electrical experience. As previously posted, find a seasoned pool installer to do this. May cost you more but electricity in a pool is not a light matter. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.