I need your HELP! PLEASE!

Jun 10, 2014
glenville NY
So the story goes like this... I normally don't hire anybody to do anything but I figured the pool build would be a little over my head. I have a construction background but have no real knowledge of pools parse. Anyway, I hired a guy to build my pool. He says he’s starting in a week or so. I'd like to iron out some of my concerns before he starts the pool. The pool is going to be 18' x 36' rectangle. Cantilever concrete coping with about 25 yards of concrete surrounding pool. LED light, heat pump, steel stairs full length of shallow end. My concerns:

1. Ground is shale and clay. Builder says he wants to back fill with the material he pulls out. I told him I want it backfilled with gravel. I'm going to order the gravel this week and have it delivered. I was told by another builder that if it was not possible to daylight a French drain pipe that he would have to backfill with crusher run instead of gravel. He stated that water wouldn't penetrate through the crusher. Not sure if I believe that... What is the proper stone to use for backfill with out a French drain?

2. We’re going for a crisp sharp look and builder says he can do a 90 degree corner with the vinyl liner. I remember I read somewhere that it was not a good idea. I was under the impression that a 6 in radius was the minimum. Am I wrong here?

3. I never spoke to him about it but I noticed on the contract that it is quoted for 2 in flex pipe. I told him I wanted the increase from 1 1/2 in pipe to 2in. He said it was a waste of money but I told him to do it anyway. I just figured he'd be using pvc schedule 40 pipe. I think it’s a better pipe for underground especially with all that gravel on top of it. I was going to ask him to change that as well.

I don’t want to be a pain in the *** but I tend to over build things in general. I want this pool built correctly so I plan on just watching over everything. I really would like the help of some people on the forum who take pride in their work and build things correctly the first time. Unfortunately I don't think my pool builder is that guy. Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Changes builders is not an option at this point.

Welcome to TFP!

I can't help with everything, but I can answer a few of these.

2) I've seen square corners that look fine. They are more difficult to get right, but it is quite possible.
3) 2" rigid PVC is better in several minor ways.

I was going to say the same thing as Jason, my pool has nearly 90 degree corners and it has never been a problem. You can see one of them in this photo:

attachment.php

By the picture it looks like you have 45 degree corners. I remember last year when we were planning for the pool I spoke with several builders. They all said my idea of having 90 degree corners was a bad one and that they normally go as low as a 6 in radius. Then all of a sudden the other day the builder comes over and asks me if I want 90 degree corners. He told me last year they were a bad idea but this year he said there's no issue with them. I've never seen a 6 in radius but I would assume they are pretty tight. Right?

Ocdconcrete, I COMPLETELY understand where you're coming from. I overbuild everything. My poor builder. I've upgraded everything. You're only going to do it once, do it the way you want it. Try to be reasonable-ish. That's my advice.

Unfortunately I don't think my pool builder is that guy.
OMG, you and he are going to have your hands full. You have selected a builder you do not trust but getting rid of him is not an option. That project would seem to be in the ditch before you get out of the driveway.

I would say you should reconcile your thinking in some manner to make your job palatable to both of you......it sure doesn't sound like it is going to be.

The way I see it your money, your pool, and you will have it the way you want it. I am like you too I was house framer for 10years. I tend to over build and want what I do or pay for to be as close to perfect as it can be. We have some guiding principles every employee strives to achieve where I have worked for the last 25 years and 2 of the three ring true with your pool build.

"If It Is Worth Doing Do It Better"

"There Is Always Time To Do It Right"

Good Luck with your Pool Build.

I have some sharp corners in the stairs area which seem to attract Algie since my pool cleaner cannot get in the areas also I really had some fun having the final plaster guys install glow in the dark tiles on the steps and some confetti single pieces in my Jacuzzi it looks really great during the day has a mother of pearl sheen and at night they glow to the wee hours of the morning they are not radioactive so that is not a worry the tile is a little expessive but worth the few hundred for the fun of it seems the small confetti ones are a bit of a challange for most installers to float in the plaster they have to put them in when they are doing the final finish and they some tiles may be lost under the plaster still came out great and it makes getting in and out at night impressive used a second line next to a normal blue tile on each step and a few diamonds of 6 and 9 tiles on the steps -- good luck

I have faith that my builder can build me a pool. He's been building pools for 30 years. I just think he has an old school mind set that what worked 30 years ago still rings true today. I gather this by his decisions for backfill and pipe size. I mean I don't build pools but with very little research I've found that 2in pipe is far superior than 1 1\2. I feel you get one shot at doing this right so let's do our best to do it. For example fixing a problem with the plumbing when there's 22 yards of concrete surrounding the pool would be an serious issue. I figure I'll break the news to him that I prefer ridged pipe when he starts digging. Do you guys compact the backfill in lifts around the pool or just add it slowly around to self compact?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.