Need some newb help. :)

Jul 17, 2013
Princeton, NJ
So I just built my pool a few weeks ago. And by built I mean I had a bunch of guys come help me put the physical structure up.

It's a Wilbar (Sharkline or somesuch) 24' x 52' above ground.

Over the course of the last few weeks, I've been filling it, and it's about 1/2 way full right now. Ha. I have a well, so I'm really taking my time. I don't want to lose my aquifer!

Anyway, the water is a little green...and I think most of that is just on the bottom, as I put on some garbage bags the other day and went in to check things out.

I don't have a test kit yet, and haven't added any chemicals.

I won't have it up to the level of my pumping system for some time yet, but was wondering if I could add some chlorine or something to kill the green and keep it from being a mosquito breeding ground.

For the filter, I have a Hayward DE setup (AC40) and a 3/4 HP 110v pump. Haven't even gotten the pumping all set for that yet, but like I said...I'm a ways from having enough water for it to matter.

Anyway, I've been reading a lot, but can't find too much on initial setup.

Oh, and the dealer sold me a Frog mineral system...which I also haven't hooked up yet, nor researched that much on. He just said it will make the pool need less chlorine, which sounds good for a sensitive skinned fellow like myself.

Thanks!

damon

Yes, add bleach. Mix it up with the pool brush. Guesstimate how much water is in the pool now and let poolmath tell you how much bleach to add to get from zero to 3 on FC. Just plug in the volume at the top and put zero now and 3 target and select the strength. Clorox is 8.25% It will all be gone in a few hours, so you'll want to do that every day. Don't forget to increase the volume as it fills. Pouring the bleach into the hose stream will help mix it and save you some brushing.

You don't want the pool frog. Over time, it will lead to green hair and metal stains on the walls. Use the search box up above for frog or poolfrog or "green hair" and you'll see a lot of threads.

For sensitive skin, maybe borates.... but that's a long way in the future. Fill it, get it clear and balanced, and enjoy it a while first.

So, for the time being, should I add that amount probably every day? Or rather, add more every day as the volume increases?
Exactly. When the volume is 6000 gallons, plug 6000 into poolmath.

It won't take much. Remember, the FC is measured in parts per million. The bleach % is parts per hundred. A little goes a long way. Don't overdo it, or you risk bleaching the liner. Unstabilized chlorine is pretty aggressive.

Have you gotten a test kit yet? You'll need one to maintain the pool trouble-free. Order one now and you'll have it by the time you need it.

One more thought: if there's Iron in your well water, the pool could turn bright green when the bleach hits it. Don't freak out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.