Advice on replacement pump?

adam_d

Apr 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Hello all,

My pump has been leaking like crazy and the motor began smoking last night so I think its time for a replacement. Changed gaskets and seals, I think I have a cracked housing.

Current pump = Hayward Super Pump II 1.5 HP (I believe it has 1.5" piping, but the specs on this motor say 2", I'll have to check when I get home)
Current filter = Hayward S244T Sand Filter
Number of Skimmers = 1
Number of returns = 5

The equipment pad sits about 1-2 feet above water level and is about 50 feet away from the skimmer.

Is my current setup too much or would I be able to go for a regular Super Pump with less HP? Please take into account I'm quite the newbie with pools, first year owning one.

Any input is appreciated!

You don't mention any water features that require high flow, so you do not need a pump that big. Being in Oklahoma, you don't have high electricity prices, so a variable speed pump would not be worth it. However, a two speed pump normally run on low, except for vacuuming and back-washing, would save you money in the long run. Assuming your existing pump is 230V, I would get a 1hp two speed regular Super Pump or equivalent. If you get a two speed pump, you will also need a switch to change from high to low. Some pumps come with the switch.

That is a big pump and it does not appear that you have anything that would warrant such a large pump (spa / water features / etc) plus the smaller pipes are not really helpful for the big pump.

I would recommend a 1HP 2-speed pump ... like the Pentair Superflo that I have or a Hayward Super Pump. As sargent pointed out most of these 2-speed pumps are 230V, so check what you currently have. Also the Superflo comes with a switch, I am not sure about other pumps.

My electric bill is the same each month, despite what type of pump I ran. Plus I've put too much money into trying to save my current pump so I'm really thinking immediate cost savings.

After looking at the specs between the Pentair SuperFlo & the Hayward Super Pump II, I'll have to resize my pipe fittings. So my question is:

Is it bad to have 2" pipe going into 1.5" directly into/out of the pump? I know it'll restrict flow a bit but anything other than that?

It is good to have 2" pipe. Does not matter what the pumps require, just use adapters. The Superflo comes with unions for either size pipe.

Um, you have not used a low RPM pump, so of course your electrical bill is always the same.

I have that power plan as an option too, but they will adjust what you have to pay next year based on actual usage. You do not have unlimited power and will pay eventually.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.