PH going down ... why?

nthoms

Jul 13, 2012
Colchester, CT
My water still looks great ... that's the good news.

However ... my PH is dropping. It was hovering at 7.2, now it's barely reading 7.0

FC: 5.0
CC: 0.2
TC: 5.2
PH: 7.0
TA: 70
CH: 60
CYA: 45
SALT: 2900
TEMP: 82
SATURATION: -1.37

Any advice on my next steps ... I am concerned about the PH being below (7.0). Should I be?

Any chance the PH test reagent is going bad? I would only consider that possibility if it is more than 18 months old.

Otherwise, are there any other chemicals being added to the pool, perhaps sequestrant?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Perhaps you need to bump your TA up just a bit to 80 and see if that helps it stabilize. Or raise CH.

I'll admit that I am over my head with the chemistry but were this a plaster pool it would be pulling calcium from the plaster to get into balance.

Acid rain maybe?
How do you have a CH of 60? My city fill water is 3 times higher than that.
How long does it take to drop from 7.2 to 7.0?
I find my pH holds fairly steady @ 80 TA. Maybe you could bump it up some. With a lower TA, pH will drop faster than with a higher TA.
It has to be some kind of acid being added to your pool somewhere.

My PH went from 7.2 to 7.0 in about a three week period of time ... we had a lot of rain during that time and I probably drained about 3" of water off the pool.

I haven't had to fill my pool in years ... I rely totally on rain water. I drain down about a foot of water each Fall when I close the pool and then the winter rain and snow will fill it back up.

I added stabilizer yesterday to try to bring my CYA up a bit. Am I correct in understanding that adding stabilizer will also contribute to lowering PH?

So is the consensus among the experts that I should raise my TA?

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps you need to bump your TA up just a bit to 80 and see if that helps it stabilize. Or raise CH.

I'll admit that I am over my head with the chemistry but were this a plaster pool it would be pulling calcium from the plaster to get into balance.

I have a 22,500 gallon, vinyl lined, cartridge filtered, salt water pool. There (hopefully) is no plaster involved ;)

1. Putting your city and state in your sig helps us understand your climate.

2. I see no reason to change your TA

3. Monitor your pH and keep it 7.2 - 7.8 or so.

4. Be thankful you are a unique (and I mean unique) pool that pH lowers 99.9999% slowly go up.

5. Check your pH fill water....that seems the only logical answer.

1. Putting your city and state in your sig helps us understand your climate.

Colchester, Connecticut

2. I see no reason to change your TA

3. Monitor your pH and keep it 7.2 - 7.8 or so.

So does this mean I should add something (?) to increase the PH ?

4. Be thankful you are a unique (and I mean unique) pool that pH lowers 99.9999% slowly go up.

5. Check your pH fill water....that seems the only logical answer.

I had this problem until this year. I was having to adjust the pH upward by 0.5 at least once every two weeks. I kept my pool covered with solar disks alot and thought that may have been contributing, but his year I have a solar blanket and it's not happening. The only thing I have done differently is keep a much higher TA. (Last two years 70-80, this year 110) Like you, I have a very low CH (50), so that makes me wonder if our low CH is somehow related. I found that in the five years I kept tropical fish here, that my pH in tanks was much more stable after adding crushed coral to the same low CH water I am putting in the pool.

I had this problem until this year. I was having to adjust the pH upward by 0.5 at least once every two weeks. I kept my pool covered with solar disks alot and thought that may have been contributing, but his year I have a solar blanket and it's not happening. The only thing I have done differently is keep a much higher TA. (Last two years 70-80, this year 110) Like you, I have a very low CH (50), so that makes me wonder if our low CH is somehow related. I found that in the five years I kept tropical fish here, that my pH in tanks was much more stable after adding crushed coral to the same low CH water I am putting in the pool.

Thanks so much for this info ... I will try raising my CH. this weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.