Please help.....wall moved out of track on a ten year old pool

May 20, 2014
Columbus, ohio
I bought a used pool it is ten years old the pool was fine when I took it down a little rust and a couple holes not bad. The support under the pool where rusty and have some holes in them I screwed them on. I installed the pool over the weekend and started filling. I went out this morning and the pool is out of the track on the one side it is holding water still. The wall is buckled a little. Can I reuse the wall and just fix the supports under the pool. I believe that is what failed.

It failed and the wall is buckling because it's a high spot and you're not level. You need to start over and re-evaluate the foundation of the pool area and make adjustments.

I would re check it all, right down to the foundation. I'm not being snarky but any time a wall jumps the track and buckles while filled, it's usually a high spot. :goodjob:

Let us know how you do with it and if you find anything wrong with the straps or any high spots. It will be good to know the outcome for future references on Oval Installs.

It is no easy task to adjust a buttress on an oval pool, I feel for you! My current pool has eight buttresses and one is slightly off - but that was by choice. I discovered my pool location was the previous homeowners pet cemetery and I hit a dog. This one buttress is almost one inch up (and leans slightly) but is rock solid buried on top of concrete blocks and has cement poured over that as they all do. The rest of the pool is perfectly level. This did not cause any problems with my track or wall and is concealed by the decking so you'd never know!

I suspect your pool may be one of those "buttress-free" pools (that still has buttresses), wavy pressure plates an a skinny metal strap connecting each buttress across the pool? If that is what has failed perhaps reinforce with steel cable. That area is buried anyway and make sure your buttress uprights are solid.

Last week I hit another dog while working on the deck, I'm not digging over there anymore!

Good luck :)

We tore down last night and all 6 of the straps broke. We are going to replace the mental and bolt and nut it to the entire length of the buttress. I have a regular buttress on my pool 6 of them. What saved the wall from completely clasping is we had put the deck up on the side the wall gave away. The 4x4 saved the wall.

Anyone else have any ideals?

That would stink to find the animals. We have several buried and have a put a flower bed over them. So, that way we know and my flower bed gets bigger.

Ugh. Sounds like you were actually very lucky the damage was not worse! I have seen people cut straps (not all) on purpose to make a hopper and the pools stand so I bet you will get it to work. My pool does not have straps, just overlapping pressure plates inside the buttress uprights. I would also reinforce those buttresses as much as possible. Ugly is better than dangerous :p

...I cannot fully express my dismay at finding the cemetery that way! Somewhere down the line I want to do an in-ground so we may have revisit the issue. "You only moved the headstones!" -Poltergeist

Poltergeist,

What other way can I reinforce the buttress? Would you know the dimension between the the buttress? Like I said we the pool used, with no instructions. Since we have to make new straps we need to know the distance. I cant find anything for 6 buttress on each side.

thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
He he :)

What is the brand of your pool? Mine was used also and is 20 years old, I was able to get the original assembly instructions from the manufacturer...I would have had a very hard time without them. I had to dig very specific holes, place concrete blocks in the holes, put the buttresses on top of that, more blocks on top if that and then fill with concrete. Since this whole mess is buried anyway I went ahead and added 3 extra blocks on top of what was required and filled those with concrete. We live in a windy area and I had zero help building the pool so my strong buttresses were like helpers. I can't remember now exactly how many blocks per buttress but something like 6?

Does your pool have pressure plates in addition to straps or just straps?

Across the pool buttress to buttress should be exactly 15ft if your signature is correct, I know the oval wall goes wonky on the sides but the 15x30 should be how the uprights measure.

- - - Updated - - -

...and it's Annie ;)

I had pix on here of my build but they have disappeared, if I can find some I will post them but not likely that will happen today.

I am not sure what kinda of pool it is. Ive looked and can not find anything like it. The walls are gray with darker grey lines. I have 6 buttress on each side. The pool was sold from company called Light House in Columbus Ohio. They have now went out of business.

Yes I have press plates also.

Yes my pool is 15x30.

Might be able to identify it if you could post a photo of the top rails.

I am guessing your pool is similar to this:
http://www.poolsaboveground.com/pool-images/tahitian_oval_pools_instructions.pdf

I believe the strap type ovals usually just recommend placing the buttresses on patio blocks like these instructions, ovals without straps are usually set on buried cinder blocks with an additional block behind. Since your straps have failed maybe you could just use this other method? It is certainly more labor intensive but it works. I could get you a copy of Doughboy buttress installation instructions if you like.

Also, do your pressure plates overlap? If not you could add a piece of sheeting over the whole works on each side, that's buried under the pool floor anyway. The weight of the water in the pool pushes down on those and actually supports the wall.

Great!
I will hunt around and post here the Doughboy buttress instructions and whatever photos I have of my buttresses with the extra blocks. I am watching a friend's children today and everybody wants to swim so I will have to put that off until tomorrow, the pix that is!

Four little ones in the pool require my undivided attention :)

I am confident you can get your pool rollin'!

Good morning Wolfe!

So, according to http://www.shadebuilder.com/Above-Ground-Pool-Directions.html
(And me :))

...you can forget about the straps and convert to the Doughboy style buttress system by bolting on an L bracket (Doughboy refers to as "Skid Plate") and adding cinder blocks. I have not found a good pic of mine- I can go take one now but the pool is buried and that just won't help you. I am loading up Doughboy instructions steps 5-10 I think, hold on...

dahe4ada.jpg
upujyjyp.jpg
9y2u4y8a.jpg
y5uguvan.jpg
pa7agetu.jpg
ta4enega.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmmkay... so after getting the buttresses in just so I assembled the rest of the pool like a skeleton without the wall to be sure it was right then poured concrete into each buttress block. Then I placed two additional blocks in a U shape on top and poured concrete into that (total of four blocks per buttress actually). The whole works is buried and even in the downhill side you can *almost* not tell it is a buttressed pool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

That came out pretty good! Hope that helps you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.