FAS-DPD Test

Jun 4, 2014
Northern CA
I purchased a K2006 kit this season to do my own testing. Ive been using it and it is great, way better than going to the pool store!
I have one question regarding the chlorine testing. I was having trouble getting chlorine to even register with the test no matter how much bleach I dump in, so I was concerned perhaps I was testing wrong (slight algae/ammonia problem, better now...still SLAMing!) Anyhow, I watched the how to video by taylor showing their test and have also watched the video for the TFtestkits version. Same powder and same scooper in both kits correct? why does taylor instructions say 2 scoops and TFtestkits says to use one?
Can someone clarify for me? my thought is why use 2 scoops if I only need 1... powder will last twice as long right?!!

Thanks!

Depends on how much you define a scoop to be. You can not use too much powder, but too little can be a problem. One scoop should be plenty are normal levels, you might need two while SLAMing.

Have you also been testing the CC?

This is a time when the OTO chlorine test that comes with the TF-100 is useful ... to be sure whether there is really no chlorine or not.

I purchased a K2006 kit this season to do my own testing. Ive been using it and it is great, way better than going to the pool store!
I have one question regarding the chlorine testing. I was having trouble getting chlorine to even register with the test no matter how much bleach I dump in, so I was concerned perhaps I was testing wrong (slight algae/ammonia problem, better now...still SLAMing!) Anyhow, I watched the how to video by taylor showing their test and have also watched the video for the TFtestkits version. Same powder and same scooper in both kits correct? why does taylor instructions say 2 scoops and TFtestkits says to use one?
Can someone clarify for me? my thought is why use 2 scoops if I only need 1... powder will last twice as long right?!!

Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing... the Taylor video shows someone using such heaping scoops that it may as well be 5 scoops instead of 2...!

Would the same amount of powder be used for both the .5 and .2 resolution tests? It would seem that if you're using a 10ml water sample vs. a 25ml water sample that less powder would be required, though there may not be a proportional relationship there.

The Taylor directions say to use the same amount of powder, though logically you should need more powder when you have a larger sample. Actually, the larger sample can't measure FC levels nearly as high as the small sample, and you need enough powder for the total amount of chlorine in the vial, so using the same amount of powder actually makes sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.