Pump Sizing/Selection Help Needed

danab

Jun 9, 2014
Bellingham, WA
Hi Everyone,

We bought a house with an existing above ground pool (specs in my signature). TFP has been a huge help in sorting out chemistry. Now our pump has died and I'm hoping you can help me choose a new one. I've read a number of great technical posts here but they're above my paygrade. I called the local pool stores and they were perfectly unhelpful. I haven't been able to sort out how to choose a pump from the dozens out there that will best match our filter and setup.

We run our pool for about 4 months a year and have cheap power (~$0.10/kWh). I want an efficient setup but don't want to pay more than the efficiency is worth. I've read that slower pumping is best for filtering - how much flow do I need for vacuuming the pool? What size pump do I need to accomplish that? I have a 120V timing system in place and external strainer basket.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dana

You can probally get away with in 3/4hp pump/motor combo. They even make them in 2-speeds. The motor has died, not necessarily the pump. You have a wet end (the pump) and the dry side (the electric motor). You can usually just replace the motor and save some money. Can you provide a model of the pump/motor or post a picture.

Something broke inside the pump and the motor bearings were shot so I'm looking for a total replacement. I'd appreciate any thoughts on what pump would be appropriate for matching with our filter. Also wondering what flow rate I need for vacuuming.

Thanks!

Dana

Thanks bobdaclown.

I've read on this forum the importance of matching a pump to a filter and pool. I can't find the specs for head loss on the SD60 filter. Without that I don't know how to ensure the pump will provide the right gpm for the filter. Can anyone help me pick a pump that's going to work well with our specific setup?

Also, what minimum gpm do I need to run a vacuum?

Thanks

Dana

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.