New house, 1st pool, solar heating questions.

My wife and I just bought out first home. I have spent the last 2 weeks prepping the pool to be opened for the first time this summer. After getting through an algae bloom, high phosphates, high CYAs and finally balancing everything out (been getting help from Leslie's Pools), I am now wondering how to get the solar heating on for the summer, but not quite sure how the valves and control panel work. The control panel decals are faded also, so it's hard to tell what each know does. I know it says the model of the panel is a Fafco 303. Thank you ahead of time. This is my first post on here, go easy. Lol

Paul

Welcome to TFP!

The best way to post pictures is to use a forum friendly photo hosting service like PhotoBucket.com.

With pictures of the valves/plumbing we should be able to make some helpful comments.

You do know that phosphates don't make any difference if your are maintaining appropriate FC levels?

I am willing to learn anything to help keep things running properly. I've shocked twice since starting and have been trying keep the chlorine at around 2, although the last couple of 100+ degree days in direct sun have used up the chlorine faster.

My phosphates were at 2500+ when we bought the house so I used a bottle of phosfree commercial and brought it down to zero, (4-5 days ago.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for a reply. Yeah, I wish I could post full resolution photos, but Photobucket really took down the size and quality of the pictures. I'm pretty sure I know how the pipes are routed now and how the valves work. I would mainly like to know if anyone has used the Fafco controller I have. Since I can't read the decals, I'm unsure of what the knobs do. I emailed Fafco directly, but they haven't gotten back to me.

Hahaha, I hear ya there. Which is why I was hoping someone on here may have used this controller at some point in time. I can't even find a picture of it on the Internet, just to find out what the knobs are. Should I try a new thread with the name and model number instead of something as vague as the title for this thread?

The two white (some black paint) valves with red handles turn solar on. They are now shut off. Turn both 90s to turn them on.

Well, I figured out what all the setting are on the controller. Yesterday I tried it out, with a ladder going to the roof to check things out. I have about 10 small leaks in different panels and one large leak in a main pipe. I know how to fix the pipe, but need to figure out how to patch the panels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.