What do I adjust first? TA or CYA?

nate81

May 20, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I did the sock method for CYA yesterday...and apparently I didn't use enough, i'm only register about 40 for CYA

FC 1
PH 7
TA 110
CYA 40

I have a SWG but have not purchased the salt yet....so i'm running on bleacch until i can get my hands on salt. I think i made my TA too high! My CYA needs to be higher...and my FC is definitely too low....i'm going to get the right amount of bleach in right now in fact, its 8pm where I am.

The CYA won't show up on the test 100% for a few days after dissolving. Your pH is a bit low, so just aerate to get the pH up between 7.2 and 7.8. A bunch of kids splashing counts. Worry about TA later. It will come down each time you add acid anyway.

The low FC is more alarming than anything else.

So my TA Is ok where it is? its not too high for now?

- - - Updated - - -

The CYA won't show up on the test 100% for a few days after dissolving. Your pH is a bit low, so just aerate to get the pH up between 7.2 and 7.8. A bunch of kids splashing counts. Worry about TA later. It will come down each time you add acid anyway.

The low FC is more alarming than anything else.

Thanks gang, i still owe you some pics to prove my levelness this year :D

CYA may not register on the test for a week. Assume that CYA is at the level you targeted and dose bleach based on that. After a week, retest CYA and adjust. It is always better to add less than your ultimate goal since the only way to reduce CYA is by draining and replacing water.

TA is high; especially for SWG where pH will rise due to aeration in the cell. What did you add that you think raised your TA? Did you add baking soda? CYA does not raise TA. You can either bring TA down now, or resign yourself to frequent additions of muriatic acid for pH, which will slowly bring TA into check.

I managed to find liquid CYA the other day, I'm so excited... I can't have stuff floating in the pool as my youngest son is autistic and his compulsion is to throw everything out of the pool, so the liquid, while expensive, is a bonus for me... :)

Add your salt now, you can't do anything about TA until Ph comes up. Point your outlet up toward the surface to help aerate the water to raise Ph. Dose with bleach daily to keep your FC in line with your current CYA level. After your salt has dissolved and you are ready to start the SWG, raise the CYA to SWG level and start dialing in the swg to maintain the proper levels. Dose with bleach as needed until you get your swg run times dialed in to maintain FC between the recommended levels. Once your SWG is running fine, then focus on TA, running the swg will increase Ph, so you will need to bring it down with acid periodically which will reduce TA in the process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.