just want to be sure i am doing the right thing

Thanks. I will have to have patience and wait and see what the CYA does. I was going to add some more, but I will wait a few more days. My husband just went out and "squeezed the sock" and he said it was almost empty. Thanks for the advice about aerating. I forgot about that. Should any of those numbers cause me concern? The ph I know is high, but the acid usually brings it down pretty quick.

If those are the same numbers from yesterday,
FC 2 target 4 add 1Q 1C bleach
ph 8.2 target 7.5 add 1Q 3C muriatic acid
TA 270 target 135
CYA 15 (or lower) 30 add 1lb of stabilizer

You're right on the FC. pH I'd target 7.2, it will lower TA faster. TA will come down as you keep lowering pH with acid. CYA anywhere from 30 to 50. Just be sure to adjust your target FC to account for the higher CYA.

New day - my numbers are:
ph 7.8 (that is up from 7.5 the night before and adding muriatic acid - can that happen?)
TC 2
TA 270
CYA 15 or lower

My 1 lb sock of stabilizer is almost gone after 5 days. How long do you think until I should see a difference? I am really frustrated with my CYA number it isn't budging
I hate that black dot it actually seems to get bigger!!! :) My TA has gone down some from the 8th of June 320 to 270, so something is working; not sure what though. Pool math says:
ph 7.8 target 7.2 add 2Q 3C of acid
TC 2 target 6 add 2Q 3C of bleach
TA 270 target 135
CYA 20or lower target 35 1 lb 11 oz of stabilizer

so i add the bleach, then the acid (later I have to get more) and wait on the stabilizer, right ?

When you say TC did you mean to say FC ??

It can take up to a week for CYA to all show up from your last addition.

Cut and paste from: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry
"You increase CYA by adding cyanuric acid, often sold as stabilizer or conditioner. CYA is available as a solid and as a liquid. The liquid costs a lot more, and generally isn't worth the extra expense. Solid stabilizer can take up to a week to fully register on the test, so don't retest your CYA level for a week after adding some. Solid stabilizer is best added by placing it in a sock in the skimmer basket. The pump should be run for 24 hours after adding solid stabilizer and you should avoid backwashing/cleaning the filter for a week.

In nearly all cases the best way to lower CYA is to replace water"

What they don't mention is if you put it in the sock you need to go in and squeeze the sock some now and then. The more you work it the sooner it will dissolve. My take on it is it's up to a week after it's all dissolved.

I understand that about the CYA, but I didn't put in as much as pool math said to the first time. I was starting slow b/c I didn't want to overdo it. So now I am wondering if I need to add more b/c of that. But I will wait; sock is almost empty and I squeezed. How often in the year do you have to add the stabilizer once you get it to where it should be? It seems like I am adding an awful lot of chemicals to my pool and wondering about the safety of it all. I already added a gallon of muriatic acid over the past week and a half and pool math says I need more. and yes, TC was meant to be total chlorine on my tf 100 kit. wasn't that right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok here is a problem...my son wanted to put the solar cover on our pool and laid it out on the damp grass and then put it in the pool. I am not sure, but I think he might have contaminated the pool b/c of the dog poop in the grass. Of course we are having people over for father's day tomorrow!!!! What do I do? I think I need to shock it. Do I look at the CYA/FC chart and use that number and plug it in to pool math to get the amount of chlorine I need? My current level of chlorine is pretty low right now TC 3 and my CYA is below 20, so the chart says I only need 10ppm of chlorine which is about 1G according to pool math. Is that right?

- - - Updated - - -

oh another question... will my cc number rise if its contaminated? I am freaking out b/c I didn't think of this until this morning and the cover has been on all night.

I'm pretty sure he did and it's why he said you can raise it to shock level "if it makes you feel better". It's like someone having an "accident" (urine) in your pool. If there isn't anything to wipe up, net or vacuum and it's dissolved in the water the chlorine will get it. That's the whole idea of having it in there to sanitize the water. Try not to think about it.

I have a new question about my cya. I added a pound last week and it still is not clouding up in the tube when I test. I can still see the black dot even when the tube is filled to the top. Which I am guessing makes my cya less that 15. I have been targeting 35 which pool math tells me to add 2 lbs more. If I add just one more will that show me some improvement or because I am not doing this all at once I have to start over from the beginning? I don't want to overdo it and have to empty my pool. Can I have some direction? My chlorine was 3 after some swimming with a ph of 7.5 my ta has been really high 250. I have been aerating and adding acid and it is slowing coming down, but very slowly. I am just wondering about the cya. Pool is crystal clear, but cold.

I have a new question about my cya. I added a pound last week and it still is not clouding up in the tube when I test. I can still see the black dot even when the tube is filled to the top. Which I am guessing makes my cya less that 15. I have been targeting 35 which pool math tells me to add 2 lbs more. If I add just one more will that show me some improvement or because I am not doing this all at once I have to start over from the beginning? I don't want to overdo it and have to empty my pool. Can I have some direction? My chlorine was 3 after some swimming with a ph of 7.5 my ta has been really high 250. I have been aerating and adding acid and it is slowing coming down, but very slowly. I am just wondering about the cya. Pool is crystal clear, but cold.
Just keep adding the CYA. A pound at a time, the way you've been doing it, will only raise CYA by 8 each time in a 15000 gallon pool. Target 35 or 40. If you overshoot, no big deal; you'll just be closer to 50.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.