NEWBIE - Run all TF 100 Tests Now?

h2ctpdjl

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2008
Indiana
My Test Kit arrived today and I am soooo excited! I have been at my pool store's mercy and want to sever the umbilical cord. Should I go ahead and run all the tests now?

Edited subject from TK 100 to TF 100:jjparrish

Re: Run all TK 100 Tests Now?

h2ctpdjl said:
My Test Kit arrived today and I am soooo excited! I have been at my pool store's mercy and want to sever the umbilical cord. Should I go ahead and run all the tests now?

Sure why not? if your worried about midday accuracy, find a shady spot or do it in the kitchen.

I completed my testing:

FC 5
CC 10
TC 15
pH 7.5
T/A 240
CH 530
CYA 100

Note: This is the first time this summer i have ever had any FC in the pool. Pool store had me add almost 23lbs of CLT to get there. My robot is still sweeping the bottom for the residuals left from that application. I had major cloudiness which has since cleared nicely. I have not attempted to use your calculator yet. Some of the numbers look awfully high.
I am assuming I will need some major adjusting? Anxious to get shopping for the stuff instead of running to the pool store.

I'm new to testing using the TF100 kit but your TA and CH levels look way out of whack (very high). You should try to re-read the instructions and rerun at least those two tests if not all of them again. After I was able to run all the tests two times in succession and got the same numbers, was I confident that I did them right.

Someone will be along shortly with more experience that I have to help out.

Retest results using two sets of eyes:
FC 5
CC 5
TC 10
pH 7.5
T/A 240
CH 430
CYA 100

There are varying degrees of pink and red, but I am assuming it is just a slight variation and not set in concrete as to what shade it should actually be. Give or take a few drops. I do have some high readings, but i am anxious to get it adjusted with some help from my friends on TFP. I glanced at the claculator but it is a bit confusing to me as to how to use it. Perhaps a calcualtor "school"?

Here are the Recommended Levels for the various types of pools. Since yours is vinyl and you don't have a SWG (salt water generator) the goals you will use in the calculator are:

FC 3-7
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 70-90
CH 50-300
CYA 30-50

Read the pool school articles first to get up to speed on what the pool chemistry is all about. There is a lot of information in there and information will be your best friend :-D

To use the calculator, you will use the above numbers for the "goal" values so key those in first. Then enter your pool size in gallons at the top and your test values in the "Now" column. When you enter a number and press the tab key or move the cursor, the calculator will show what you need to change on the right.

You will first want to be sure your test numbers are correct then use the calculator to show you what to change.

Your CYA is too high so that may be what you want to address first and as I understand it, the only way to fix it is to drain some of the water then refill with fresh. The pool calculator can tell you some guidelines for this.

Your pH looks pretty good and I understand that CH levels are not that important in vinyl pools.

Also, you will need to get your CC level to 0 and that requires shocking. Read the article Shocking your Pool.

You might want to change the title of your first post to something like "Newbie needs help with test numbers" or something like that which seems to bring in the more experienced folks.

Re: Run all TF 100 Tests Now?

The most crucial issue is the high CYA level, as wsettle pointed out. But you do need to worry about the high CH level. Vinyl pools don't mind CH being low, but high CH can be a problem for any pool. High CH and high TA together are particularly likely to cause calcium scaling. Hopefully the water replacement to bring CYA down will also bring TA and CH down as well.

The CC level of 5 is also going to be an issue, but probably a much simpler one to take care of. That can wait till you have brought the CYA level down.

h2ctpdjl said:
I completed my testing:

FC 5
CC 10
TC 15
pH 7.5
T/A 240
CH 530
CYA 100

Note: This is the first time this summer i have ever had any FC in the pool. Pool store had me add almost 23lbs of CLT to get there. My robot is still sweeping the bottom for the residuals left from that application. I had major cloudiness which has since cleared nicely. I have not attempted to use your calculator yet. Some of the numbers look awfully high.
I am assuming I will need some major adjusting? Anxious to get shopping for the stuff instead of running to the pool store.

What is CLT?

Was your pool clear when you took the water sample? Just wondering.

Ditto everyones advice on partial draining, but I would test your fill water first, if it's from your tap and your water is high in CH it's not gonna help that number....

Re: Newbie needs help with test numbers

Thanks, I printed out and read the recommended levels as well as everything else on the home page as soon as I found the TFP site. As far as the calculator, I didnt know to enter the whole range (pH 7.5-7.8) into the "goal" values. I thought I could only pick one particular set of numbers I was looking for, and being new at this, wasnt sure which to pick out of the range. That is now cleared up. Sorry about my typo. It wasnt CLT, it was CLC - granular sanitizer/Chlorine. I was told the resulting sever cloudiness was from the calcium in it. After adding 23lbs of the stuff, I can see why my CH is high. Yes, my pool was very clear when taking the tests. As far as water replacement, I am only able to drain off a few inches - down to the skimmer level. Anything more than that, I don't have a clue how to get it any lower than the skimmer. I put the filter on waste and run the water off that way. Do I need to reduce the water level below the skimmer? I was not able to change the subject in my original post as directed, but it would let me change it in my reply. As suggested, I will lower the water level and replace and use the calculator for some guidlines on it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Newbie needs help with test numbers

h2ctpdjl said:
Thanks, I printed out and read the recommended levels as well as everything else on the home page as soon as I found the TFP site. As far as the calculator, I didnt know to enter the whole range (pH 7.5-7.8) into the "goal" values. I thought I could only pick one particular set of numbers I was looking for, and being new at this, wasnt sure which to pick out of the range.

You cannot enter a range, you need to pick a number. For FC, choose the high #, so you stay in range as the FC gets used up during the day.
For the CYA, I would also put the high # since you are lowering. ditto CH. These are both lowered by draining.
For the others I would choose a # in the middle of the range, and then you can see what your water does over time.

Thanks for the input. I was finally able to use the calculator. It recommends replacing 50% of my water which is a lot and I don't have a clue as to how to go about it. Can I just remove a few inches at a time and replace with new, let it circulate for a while, reduce again, etc.? Must i remove 50% at one time? Can you tell I am new at this? Tee Hee

You don't have to drain all at once. But, one way you can drain below the skimmer (if you have only one skimmer or you can isolate one skimmer) is to insert your vacuum hose into the suction inlet below the skimmer basket and put the other end at the bottom of the deep end and vacuum to waste. You don't want to drain below a foot or two below the skimmer opening having a vinyl pool, but at least this way you can drain more at a time.

Do this, then refill, then repeat until your CYA level is 30-50 ppm. Then you can start adjusting other parameters.

My pool is IG if that could make a difference on how low I can take the water level. Also, I had an idea if I wanted to reduce the water all at once. I have a submersible pump that came with the automatic pool cover. Could that be lowered into the deep end to lower the water level also, or would that be too much for it? I think I would feel more comfortable by lowering it a few inches at a time, adding, circulating, testing, etc. until I can get the CYA lowered?

I have already drained a couple inches of water and currently adding new as I type. Good to hear about using my sub pump if need be. I did test my tap water (pool water source) and it tested 130 for CH, which is way lower than the pool water tested. I am assuming this is going to take some time, but I am confident all will be for the best. I have complete faith in the BBB method and everyone on this forum. I will post again once my CYA levels are lowered.

I am slowly progressing on my partial drain. However, with the 95 degree temps, I am concerned about getting algae? Any precautions I should take? OK to continue swimming? I am waiting to re-test for the CYA until tomorrow sometime, as repeat tests are draining my CYA regeants.

Each time you refill the pool, at least once a day, you should run the pump for a while and add chlorine as usual. If you do a partial drain and refill and the process takes longer than 24 hours then there is a significant risk of getting algae. Since you shouldn't be lowering the water level more than about 18" below the skimmer, one cycle of the drain and refill process should take less than 24 hours.

I am not draining that much. I am only doing a couple to three inches at a time. Am I to continue with my regular chlorine "sticks" or switch to the liguid chlorine, which is my goal? Now i am confused.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.