May 30, 2008
Fort Gratiot MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey everyone,

I was using the pool calculator, and at my current levels it says that the CSI is -0.7. It says in the that any pool over -0.6 is bad for it. Is this true of my pool? My pool specs are in my signature below.

So what do I do to get the number under 0.6 if it needs to be? Any suggestions?

My numbers are below for the pool:
FC 8
PH 7.5
TA 100
CH 60
CYA 70 (all day sun is why I kep this high)
Borates 50
Temp 84

Thanks in advance
Brian

I think that the knowledgable folks around here will tell you that the saturation index is really not anything to worry about. But I would point out that at -.7 you are BELOW -.6.

Your calcium is a bit low. That's not really a problem in a vinyl pool, tho, unless you're getting foaming. Your numbers look good to me.

The index is very low because the Calcium Hardness (CH) is low, but that's OK for a vinyl pool such as yours. The Pool Calculator actually says:

Less than -0.6 is suggestive of problems for plaster, tile, stone, and pebble pools.
Greater than 0.6 is suggestive of problems for all pools.

So being lower than -0.6 is not a problem for vinyl pools such as yours. If you find that your water tends to foam, then you can raise the CH level to 120 ppm; otherwise, don't worry about it.

Your pH is on the high side at 8. If you find that it frequently tends to rise, you can consider lowering the TA level a bit to 80 ppm by this procedure in The Pool School.

Richard

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your responses, I do appreciate them very much. I didnt read the pool calculator correctly is what my problem is!LOL :hammer:

My PH is 7.5, Richard, so I will leave it alone, my TA is at 100 and I added a bit of MA to bring it down to 80 and am aerating with my new fangled home made aerator that Poseidon showed us in the Aerating & PH thread.

Thanks agin you guys are a great help in clarifying everything that is for sure.
Brian

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.