New and tired with Leslie's

hippo

Jul 14, 2012
Glendale,AZ
Hello, my pool is a pebble tech, cartridge, not saltwater. New build, 2 years old. Chemistry is out of whack but water is crystal clear. According to Leslie's it is:
FC .5
CC .5
pH 7.6
TA 110
CH 425
CYA 99
TDS 2160
I confirmed the TDS with a reader I have. My outside water tap is 580.

I have been reading everything I can and have questions.

Based on the levels I am considering a full water evac and starting over. With that my cartridges need to be cleaned. Possibly replaced, I have done research, talked with other pool owners about sand filters. Price is about the same, my main irritation is the waste of water used to clean the cartridges and cost. I need to buy 8 of them. What does anyone think about moving to a sand filter system?

The reason I am tired with Leslie's are the little things. I went there yesterday and although the employee was nice I didn't like the answers I got which led me to here. When he tested my water sample, he didn't clean the previous sample and I think that might have messed up my results. Everything I have read about Leslie's and their answer to pool care is spot on. Based on yesterday. So I ordered a TF-100 kit and will be handling my own tests.

Thank you for your help and advice, Matt

If you're FC is really 0.5 the water shouldn't stay crystal clear very long. Not sure how the pebble-tec surface will like being exposed to the hot AZ sun. I'm south of you and was able to drain and refill half my pool without the sun hitting it much. Rented a sump pump at Ace Hardware and started draining when the sun got low and then started refilling at midnight with 2 hoses. Got it back to full about 11am the next day so minimum sunlight on the pool. I'm betting you could probably get away with only replacing 50% of the water. When I ordered a TF-100 it got there within a couple days so you should be able to get better numbers soon. You will probably need to dilute the pool water 50/50 with tap water for the CYA test and then multiply the result by 2. As a newbie myself I'm not really liking the accuracy of the CYA test. There are a lot of things like how sharp your vision is and the surrounding lighting that can change your number by at least 10 counts but it will get you in the ballpark.

Welcome! :wave:

"99" is pool store shorthand for "off the scale". Your CYA level may well be double that. If you've been following standard pool store advice and chlorinating with pucks and a weekly "shock" with powders it is almost guaranteed to be above 200.

Draining and starting over won't do much for you unless you're ready to try something new. Otherwise you'll be draining again in another year. You've made a great start -- you've got your own test kit. So begin by making rational decisions based on facts. To that end, suffer along doing what you're doing until the test kit is in your paws and do some testing. Then you'll know how much water you need to replace, or if you decide to drain it all, you'll be prepared to get the pool chemistry started right. You ought to check out the extended test kit directions for all the notes about testing extreme readings on CH and CYA.

I've always read that cleaning cartridge filters takes very little water. Maybe your cartridges are clogging up because of a chemistry problem?

I have new cartridge filters...cost about $200 ish to replace. My pool has a vacuum port built into the side of the pool. I added a leaf canister inline with my vacuum head and my cartridges stay pretty clean. I also ensure to empty my skimmer basket daily to help reduce the amount of stuff to get to the filters and that cuts down on cleanings.

Even if you need to replace all the water it may not be wise to fully drain the pool due to the AZ heat. It will take more water but you may need to do it with multiple drain/refills. I don't know anything about cartridge filters but I love my sand filter. It's so quick and easy to backwash. Also since I started following methods here and got the water clear I've found my filter pressure has been remaining at the same pressure for over a week now and I haven't had to touch any baskets. I have an inline canister with a mesh bag on the creepy so I just look at how full that is and it hasn't needed to be dumped in 10 days. If I were you I'd get the water chemistry taken care of and then evaluate how you like the filter performance.

Thanks guys. Actually the Leslie's employee told me to add one bag of shock, which I did. Usually I don't have to do much when I get my analysis. Then couldn't sleep after reading here. This is my first time with my chemistry this bad. My fault. I neglected my pool. Lesson learned. I test stripped my pool and the chlorine color puts me in the middle so I believe I'm good for now. My kit should be here Thursday.

My pool is all decked out for equipment. Ecoskim, Leafvac, Magnasweep, and a Quikpure 3 ozone oxidation system. 2 more pumps for continuous lap swimming. So I have 3 baskets to clean then 2 more periodically for my lap jets. I have a HOA palo verde tree next to my pool fence that has started to give me problems and asked today to have them cut it back. Which they kind of did, now my pool surface is covered in yellow flowers. Yay.

The cartridges get pretty dirty. I have to wait till this weekend to clean them. I have priced them online for $60 x8. I have been cleaning them about every 6 months but am overdue. The pump runs for 10 hours every day, 1900-0500.

Just a quick caution, the test strips show recommended FC (chlorine) levels assuming a very low level of CYA, but the typical pool maintenance products lead fairly quickly to a high level of CYA -- which in turn requires a higher level of FC than the strips (or the pool store staff) will consider "normal".

Wondering if cleaning the cartridges more frequently would reduce the cleaning effort enough that your total water usage would be smaller ? I only have a single small cartridge but cleaning it is very quick & easy if I don't let it get too gummed up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, got the kit today and did the test. AFU. I went to the you tube site and what they said is different then what the card said. I am beside myself. I am now going to buy a pump to completely empty the pool.

FC 4
CC 2
pH 7.5
TA 180
CH 1375 I did this 3 times
CYA 100+

I am going to call TFTestkits to ask what's up with video difference and testing questions, next my pool manufacture about drain and fill with our 105 degree weather, then the city water department to try and get a reduced rate for pool refills.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Hi Matt! Welcome. :wave:

Don't fret, we can help you. I don't think you need to dump all of your water. I notice you have an ozone thingamabobber on your equipment. I would look into getting rid of it. Search the forum and you will find that it is totally useless in outdoor pools and adds metal to the water which can cause unsightly staining.

You are new. We all were at one time but you're here, you can learn the TFPC and you'll never have to deal with outrageous numbers again and take control of your pool. I would encourage you to read Pool School, namely the ABC's of pool water chemistry and the How to SLAM your pool.

Deep breath Matt. It'll be ok. :goodjob: Dave *duraleigh* from TFtestkits is really great! :cool:

What was different?
Gilrock got it right.

The video reflects the old resolution of 10 ppm/ drop. The new testkits now reflect the new resolution of 25 ppm / drop.

Both tests are perfectly valid but following the directions on the new test kit card will save some reagents, time, and money.

Ok, thanks guys, been very busy and then dealing with this pool. I got my kit in and went to work on this problem. I decided to pump water out then pump water in at the same time. My values are from Friday to today.

FC
CC
pH 7.6, 7.5, 8.2, 8.2
TA 180, 130, 150, 150
CH 1375, 850, 300, 550
CYA 100+, 100+, 90, 80
TDS 2014, 1500, 1380, 1250
Temp 86-88
Outside temp ~106

My chlorine has been low to zero and have been adding according to math at 10% strength.

I tested my TDS and CH from the outside tap filling my pool. 600 and 250 respectively.

I have been draining and filling for the last 3 days and my results are fair. I also cleaned my 8 filters. Mildly dirty. Water is still crystal clear but felt a little slimy.

Questions
Why did my CH, TA, and pH go up?

And get rid of my ozonator? Replace with anything? Nothing?

Where are you getting a TDS result?

pH and TA will change depending on your fill water ... how does the tap water test?
The CH numbers do not make any sense. I am going to guess that the water was not fully mixed. Were you draining and filling at the same time with the circulation pump off? You will not be able to accurately test unless you mix the water for at least an hour, but if you do that then the water replacement is not as effective. I guess I am not clear what your process has been.

No need to replace the ozone with anything except maintaining adequate FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.