How does the T106M work

Norcal Spearo

In The Industry
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Does this timer have power on at all times, or only when primary timer provides power to it.
Does it start on high speed then go to low, or vice versa, either way, how long on start speed, is this controllable, does one have the option to run high speed only?

From reading the instruction sheet for this unit it appears to only switch one leg of the 2 power legs of a 220V feed, so, yes, one of the wires to the motor is being energized all the time, however the motor won't operate until the other power wire is energized by the timer.

If the timer is wired in SPDT manner, it will run at one speed (i.e. HIGH) when the timer goes through it's ON period and it will run at the other speed (i.e. LOW) when the timer cycle goes through it's OFF period. The ON and OFF periods are set by the adjustable trippers.

It can also be wired in SPST manner, in which case it would operated same the as a single speed ON/OFF timer.

I personally don't like the fact that it always leaves one power wire to the motor energized. For me that's a safety issue but as long as there's a circuit breaker nearby to shut all power to the motor when working on it, that should be OK.

I thought of that but it seemed kind of an imprecise approach because you'd want to synchronize the two timers and settings those timers to turn on and off at the same time would be a challenge. Guess it really wouldn't hurt if they were a little off.

This sound like a weird setup, so if I have a timer that provides power to run a pump normally let's say 6am till noon, this timer is going to power the second timer, t106m that has been off for 16 hours, now this timer is set to start at 6am also, but the power has been off for 16 hours, so it will not start until it comes around to 6am again, I'm missing something.
Is there really a need for the primary timer at all?
Or do both timers remain energized at all times, again, what's the purpose of the main timer?
I found a wiring diagram that answers some of my questions.image.jpg
From what I see here, the primary timer keeps the pump from running 24/7, the secondary timer runs the pump on high speed until pre determined time before switching to low speed, the start times should be synchronized, right?

The T106s only common usage is as a second timer to control a dual speed pump. The other timer controls when the pump is on/off and the T106 controls high speed vs low speed.

While it can be handy to keep the timer synchronized, there is no need to do so. Remember, the primary timer controls on/off and the secondary timer only controls the speed high vs low. You can switch speeds while the pump is off without problems, no need for them to be exactly synchronized.

the second timer, t106m that has been off for 16 hours
This statement doesn't make any sense. The T106 is never "off", it is either at high speed, or at low speed, there is no off. The other timer can be on or off, but the T106 doesn't have an "off".

I think you are missing that the 106 timer is always supplied power and the timer will throw the switches to select the speed. The timer will not "lose time" for 16 hours. These are the green wires in you drawing that have a constant source of power.

According to your schematic, the clock portion of both timers are fully powered 24 hours a day by Line 1 and Line 2 being connected to terminals 1 and 3 of T104M which has both clocks connected to those terminals.

So, I 'm not understanding "but the power has been off for 16 hours, so it will not start until it comes around to 6am again".

I think the only purpose is as Jason stated, having 2 timers disconnects power to the common feed of the motor. If you just have the T106M timer, that common would remain energized all the time.

Seems overly complicated and I'd rather use a DPDT wall switch prior to the timer to have a sure and certain electrical disconnect close by; unless of course the circuit breaker is already nearby.

EDIT: I now see what Jason is saying, that with all power lines effectively controlled by the 104 there's no need for any precision synchronization. Makes sense.

I think you are missing that the 106 timer is always supplied power and the timer will throw the switches to select the speed. The timer will not "lose time" for 16 hours. These are the green wires in you drawing that have a constant source of power.
Yes I figured that out from the drawing.

- - - Updated - - -

According to your schematic, the clock portion of both timers are fully powered 24 hours a day by Line 1 and Line 2 being connected to terminals 1 and 3 of T104M which has both clocks connected to those terminals.

So, I 'm not understanding "but the power has been off for 16 hours, so it will not start until it comes around to 6am again".

I think the only purpose is as Jason stated, having 2 timers disconnects power to the common feed of the motor. If you just have the T106M timer, that common would remain energized all the time.

Seems overly complicated and I'd rather use a DPDT wall switch prior to the timer to have a sure and certain electrical disconnect close by; unless of course the circuit breaker is already nearby.
I did not know how they were wired after I found the drawing I see that the timer power will always remain on to both timers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.