Compupool Salt System

hagan

Sep 12, 2013
I have ran SWG this for about 2.5 years at 20% and produced great results. I have been testing the water a lot lately and did a super Chlorinate -100% early last week as I though I had alge. did not have it- stick reading purple with high chlorine after 24 hours of running and got tested. I added some water to take it down a notch and moved to 40% recently. It' not making the stick purple at all and I am taking a sample in today. I even moved to 60% yesterday for 8 hours and got the same results this am. Salt levels were verified at 3200 and SWG bubbling as usual when I observe. I think its it's dying but not sure how to verify. The water is cystal clear and chlorine I would say is 1 or less - white stick reading with no purple. 21k fiber 16x36 Any ideas

Hey there Neighbor!
I personally prefer to keep my beloved SWG at a lower level (never more than 30%, often less) and when I want to superchlorinate I use regular household bleach (8.25%). SWGs are not meant to be used to *kill* an algae outbreak but rather chug along at lower levels to provide continuous chlorine to *avoid* ever getting algae. Use cheap ole bleach when you need more bang for your buck.
You need a GOOD test kit.. no candy colored strips. I like the TF-100 for the job. You want to be able to accurately test exactly how much chlorine you've got not just if it matches some color range.

#1 is you need a good test kit. No strips or pool store results, which are usually pretty unreliable. See Test Kits Compared. Until you post good test results, it will be pretty hard for anyone to give you sound advice.
#2 is that you really don't know if you have algae or not until you have good test results. Just because it is not visible does not mean it is not there.
#3 is that your cell may be going bad. OR it may be just fine, but the algae is consuming your chlorine. Or the sunlight may be consuming your chlorine. You won't know until you get a good test kit. Since it is bubbling, that is a good sign.
#4 when you do get a good test of your water post the results. Most important things are:
FC - Free Chlorine
CC or TC - Combined Chlorine or Total Chlorine
CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer/conditioner)
pH -

If your chlorine really is low for your CYA level, you may want to use bleach to bring the level up.

Thanks for the replys and I guess I will get a new test kit and post results. I did not have algae, only a stain from rust. Now the is that at SWG is at 50% for 24 hours, my Chlorine was only .3 when tested; bumped to 100% for last 16 hours and will take water in today. I wonder how would I know if the SWG is failing since I was always able to run at 20% over the last two years with no issues of low Chlorine. My thought is , even at higher % 70 or even 80%, why not keep using since it making Chlorine. ( or replace). Salt levels at 3300.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.