Newbie with cloudy water

Jun 9, 2014
frankfort
I'm new to pool maintenance and am helping a friend of mine. Had the water tested on Friday (not sure of all the levels amounts as I don't have the paper with me) however, there were 2000 phosphates. Any idea what could cause this? The local pool store told me to put in some of this phosphate remover, then half a bottle of clarifier and then added the chlorine but no change in the color. I am taking a sample to get it tested again tomorrow. Mostly concerned about the phosphate levels. Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to TFP!

There is no need to worry about phosphates, or even think about them. Phosphates are primarily a good way for pool stores to sell people expensive products they don't need. As long as you maintain appropriate chlorine levels, your phosphate level can be anything at all and you won't have problems.

Phosphates occur naturally in just about everything organic, and they are also used in municipal water treatment in some areas.

The best way to take control over you pool is to get your own top quality test kit and stop depending on the pool store.

The first step to cleaning up the water is to get a complete set of reliable test results. It is best if you do that with your own test kit, but if all you have are pool store results we can start with that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.