Rookie needs advice

Jim H.

Jun 9, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Bought a home with 9 yr old inground pool/spa. Never owned a pool before so came to this site looking for an education. This has been a great place to get the info I needed to feel like I can manage the pool myself rather than use the pool service that the previous owner had used. I have a test kit (BioGuard 1200V) and recently bought some "dip strip'" test strips to test the water. My results are all on the high side, as follows:

FC 10
pH 7.6 - 7.8
TA 180
TH 800
CYA 300

Checked with previous owner and pool has never been drained, which is why I think my TH and CYA are so high. Had a lot of scale on the pool tiles which we cleaned up with pumice stone. Pool filter has a "frog" setup that dispenses Cl tabs. I've let the tabs run out and not introduced any more Cl thinking the level would decrease to a point where I would like it to be, i.e., 2-3 ppm per the test kit but it just stays high. The filter runs 7 hrs/day and the water is crystal clear and looks great but I'm worried that the chemistry of the water will degrade the plaster in the pool. Am I over-thinking this? Do not want to drain and refill the pool if not necessary but don't want to be faced with expensive repairs if I "don't know what I don't know". Would a RO filter system be able to bring down the CYA and TH levels or is this overkill? I appreciate your insight and suggestion in advance. Thank you, Jim H.
P.S The pool filter cartridges were recently cleaned and the filter pressure has been constant at about 30 psi. Haven't noticed any change in the pressure in the 2+ months that we've owned the home. I noticed comments in some posts about backwashing the filter. Do I need to do this with my system and how do I do that? If it matters, there is a solar hot water system attached as well.

Welcome to TFP!

High hardness is a problem in the SW. Get your pH down to the low end of the range to minimize issues until you can address the hardness.

Your CYA is insane, and where it's at, you don't want to lower your chlorine. According to the Chlorine CYA Chart at 100ppm CYA you should target 12ppm for your FC level, so you are actually a bit low.

A pool-sized RO system could lower your CH and CYA, but those are commercial units and you'd probably pay around $500 for a treatment.

A cartridge filter isn't backwashed. 30psi seems pretty high, and with high calcium I'd consider a new set of cartridges to see if you run lower pressure and get better circulation.

JohnT, what should I be looking for with regard to the pump pressure? I really haven't been watching it much but will start now. Regarding the FC level, you have confirmed what I thought based on reading other posts here...the CYA is a problem and I will have to drain and refill to get it fixed. Is there any way to calculate how much of the pool needs to be drained or do I just refill it completely? My test kits only go to a max of 10 ppm FC, so I really don't know where it is accurately. About the RO system, I was considering just installing a dedicated install for the pool. Good idea or not? Thanks for the help, Jim H.

JohnT, what should I be looking for with regard to the pump pressure? I really haven't been watching it much but will start now. Regarding the FC level, you have confirmed what I thought based on reading other posts here...the CYA is a problem and I will have to drain and refill to get it fixed. Is there any way to calculate how much of the pool needs to be drained or do I just refill it completely? My test kits only go to a max of 10 ppm FC, so I really don't know where it is accurately. About the RO system, I was considering just installing a dedicated install for the pool. Good idea or not? Thanks for the help, Jim H.

Pump pressure varies widely with different equipment and plumbing. If you can run your system with the cartridges out, that might give you an indication of the inherent pressure of your system.

Household RO systems generally process a few gallons a day, and waste a significant amount of the water being processed. They couldn't keep up with evaporation from the pool. RO systems on pool scale are large and expensive. If someone were to assemble such a beast at a reasonable cost it would probably be very popular.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.