Considering solar, so many questions

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
So, I've decided to postpone the (gas) heater plan. Mainly due to the fact that I don't think I really need it. Auto cover really does a great job for keeping up the temps and i'm pretty much averaging only 1-2 degrees under the ambient, outside temp. For instance, all last week outside temps were in low to mid 80's and the pool averaged 82. Not bad. That being said however, I still would like a little jolt. Certainly not looking for 15-20 degree temp hikes (hence, deciding against the real heater for now), but I would still like to get maybe 4-6 additional degrees from what I currently get "naturally", therefore solar heat seems like a viable option.

The biggest potential issue I have however, is a panel space. My house is not close enough, so house roof is outta of the question. The only structure I have next to the pool is pool shed, but the shed is not large and we're only talking about ~6x15 area for the sun facing side of the roof. I'm considering on extending the roof on the right another 6-8 ft, as that's where the pool equipment and I don't like sun and rain beating on it, so that would give me an area of ~6x23 ft or so.
I've been looking at sungrabber panels on ebay and they have 2x20 panels, so I can potentially do 3 panels which will give me 120 square ft of panel space. Do you folks think that will be enough to give me those 4-6 degrees difference I want? I think these panels are rated at 30k btu. The shed does get good sun.

The next question I have is controls. Since my Aqualink RS center, has option for solar heat, I assume that I would not need an additional control system specifically for solar and I should be able to connect both the solar temp sensor and solar JVA to the Power center and have solar control through it just as I would a normal heater?

And lastly for plumbing, can someone point me to some good resources for plumbing a solar heat please? I've already seen some threads on installing solar on here, but still a bit iffy on some of it. Especially plumbing into existing plumbing and whats all I would need extra...

thank you all for your help as always!

Without knowing where you live, it wouldn't be possible to guess at what kind of heat you can get from solar. The panels need to be tilted so they will drain to keep the water in them from overheating when they aren't being used, so you may not have room for 6' of panel on a 6' roof.

Have you ever thought about any kind of pergola or other shade structure near the pool? It's pretty easy to make a solar rack that serves two purposes. Just put longer legs on it and you have a sitting area out of the sun.

I think the 120ft2 would give you several degrees if you can get the three panels on there.

Yes, i'm planning on building a pavilion for the outdoor kitchen, but that won't be for a while. In the mean time shed is it, but as I've mentioned i'm planning to extend the roof on it anyway. Thank you for the insight, any more insights on the other questions I have? :)

You say the house is too far away, how far is it? We have some members running solar panels hundreds of feet from their pools. For plumbing information take a look at http://www.h2otsun.com/ Much of their information is generic for all types of panels
I would easily have to run 100+ ft of piping plus there's good 4ft of head. You don't think that's a problem? Is there formula for a heat loss per foot of pipe, as well as pump sizing based on head? Because, if I could do that, I would use my sunroom roof which gets pretty much all the sun and has plenty of space.

Great link, thank you.

Heat loss is going to vary depending on local conditions, but I would not worry about it much at 100 feet, maybe upsize panels a little to compensate, for longer runs you might want to consider wrapping the pipes with insulation.

For pump sizing you have to take into account head (which is usually a ballpark guestimate) as well as desired flow rate which is optimally around 4.5 GPM per 4x12 panel, although efficiency does not start really falling off too bad until you are down around half that. .

For more reference, here is my install thread from last year http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/54481-Solar-Panel-Replacement-Update

Ike

Thank you, this is great info. I'm now considering putting the panels on the roof of my sunroom. Will look through your thread today, will likely have more questions :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.