Heliocol vs others

Mar 18, 2008
Garden State
Spoke with a sales rep re installing a solar heat system; his company sells Heliocol. The system he is proposing is 550 sq ft for roughly $6,500. Is that in the ballpark for a Heliocol system? I imagine he will come down some with some pushing, etc. but just looking to see what I should be expecting.

Are there real world advantages to a Heliocol system vs one picked up from Costco or the like for 1/4 the cost or less? He went through the sales pitch as to it is better because it is installed better, etc. but couldn't really tell me if there was a difference in the product besides one is self installed and one is his team installing it.

Last question, those of you who have these systems in the North East (we are in NJ), how much does it really help you and does it extend your swim season - of course the nice sales guy showed us a graph and the like for how much longer the swim season would be, etc. but really, what do you see

Thanks!

I have a 192 sq-ft Aquasol system on my 21K gallon pool which gets pretty much full sun in Indiana. We were well into the swimming season before I even got the solar cover out of the basement, and out of pure laziness, I only use the cover on nights it's going to be cool or if cloudy weather is expected. I had the pool up to 94 the other day before I realized it was getting that hot. I have little over $1000 in my system that I installed myself. The installation is very easy if you don't mind working on a roof.

I believe systems are often oversized because installers use sizing guides intended for warmer climates. I don't expect to add very much to my pool season because the cold air will limit swimming even if the pool is still warm. You might be able to get by with a smaller system and be just as happy.

John - Thanks for the info. That's what I was wondering, he was sizing at 66% of the surface area (550sq is actually a little less than 66%, but worked out to a nice number of panels, etc.) I will keep looking around to see what I can find. I am not a huge fan of the idea of working 2.5 stories up to install a system myself, however am not overly thrilled with the costs of the Heliocol system either :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.