New Metal Frame Owner

Jun 9, 2014
Toledo, OH
Me and my wife are planning on purchasing a ProSeries 16' X 48" Metal Frame Swimming Pool from Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Summer-Es...aic-printing-Deluxe-Kit/33154211#Q&A+Exchange. My main concern or question is in the winter. We do not want to take it down for the winter. So what I was thinking of doing was, when I set this up I am going to put play sand down for the bottom of the pool and place concrete pavers or something under the feet of the poles. Now in the fall I would like to drain the pool down to 1/4 full or 1/2 full and remove the filter, hoses, and all accessories. I figured I should leave the cover off so the snow and ice don't push down on it. We do get spurts of cold temps here in Ohio and was wondering if anyone thinks this would be ok?

Thanks I am new to the forum. Hope to learn a lot from all of you.

My Intex got left up last winter with only about 6" of water in it and fared okay. I did have time to drain the sand filter and remove the hoses. Water actuality stayed clear all winter/spring, just had a lot of leaves. Ended up with a small amount of algae by the time I got it filled and balanced.

I leave mine up over winter. I drain below the lowest suction/return fitting, and drain the system. Pump and filters go into the basement.

You shouldn't have to drain much below the lowest opening in your pool. Just make sure there is a way for the rain/snow etc to drain out on it's own.

I wouldn't trust leaving up an intex style pool through the winter. I looked at the same pool yesterday. We plan on putting in a large one next year but thinking we might go with a cheap smaller one this year just to cool off in. The only reason I didn't get one was the fact here in MO it would only be left up a couple of months before it would have to be torn down. Intex pools in general do not fair well with heavy ice and snow, not sure how much you get in your area but here if we have a winter like last year it probably wouldn't make it. If it did it would be a bonus. The only kind of soft side pool I'd trust leaving up through ice and snow is one of the Splash style pools with the bullet proof thick liners. These pools get so many leaks, even new out of the box, I wouldn't risk it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.