Leslie Test Water Test Results Critique

Hi all, opened my pool on the 7th and started to apply the TFP methodology to my pool. Pool was only slightly green/clear so I SLAM'ed it and added Borax to bring up the pH. I tested using a newly bought cheapo HTH 6 way test (All I have as of now, hopefully will get a TFT test in the future).

Before SLAM:

pH: 6.8
TA: 100 ppm
TC: 0.5-1.0 ppm
CYA: over 100 ppm (this was alarming to me)
CH: 250

After SLAM'ing the water appearance improved, blue color but not quite clear. pH was about 7.0 after Borax (didn't add the full amount calculated wanted to go step wise). I've had the pump running 24/7 since the 7th to clear the pool. Been scrubbing/vacuuming and cleaning skimmer and filter about once a day. The clarity is slowly improving, but not quite there yet. Because I was suspicious of the HTH-6 way results for CYA, I took a sample over to Leslie (10 mins from my house).

Here are Leslie's results:

FAC: 5 ppm
TC: 5 ppm (0.2 difference)
TA: 110
CH: 170
CYA: 50
pH: 7.4
Copper: 0
Iron: 0
TDS: 3000
Phosphates: 500

I was relieved that the CYA levels were in range. I guess the HTH - 6 way for CYA can't be trusted? Person at Leslie said I should get my CH up and lower phosphate levels. I have the Leslie chems to do so (from previous owner of the house) but I've read some threads on TFP to avoid Phosfree use. As I understand it, phosphorus is one of the elements needed for algae growth? It's a vinyl pool so should I be worried about CH being low? I've read some info that I shouldn't be too concerned with CH being low?

I added some clarifier last night and this morning that seems to have helped with the water clarity. I can see all the way down to the bottom on the deep end with just slight cloudiness. The shallow end looks crystal clear.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

It is the Leslie's CYA result that you shouldn't trust. The CYA test in the HTH 6 way kit is the same one we recommend using from the fancier kits.

There is never any reason to add CH to a vinyl liner pool. Nor is there ever any need to remove phosphates.

^^^ This

Also... you said you completed a SLAM. Are you sure? A SLAM is not a one time shock that the pool stores love to sell.
How did you complete a SLAM without knowing your true CYA? Did you do it based on 100 ppm CYA?
SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain
As JVTrain said, SLAM is a process, not a one time event. Pool stores love to tell you to "shock" the pool and then when that one time event does not clear up a lingering problem they sell other magic "stuff" to cure your pool's ills.

Stick with the folks here. They want to help without having their hands in your pocket.

Stick with the folks here. They want to help without their hands in your pocket.

You said "After SLAM'ing the water appearance improved, blue color but not quite clear."

A SLAM is not complete until all three of these conditions are met:
  • CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • And the water is clear.

During the SLAM the FC must be kept at the shock level, which is based on the CYA level of the water. With the original CYA "over 100" you should have kept the FC at a minimum of 39 during the SLAM process.

I agree with Jason also as to the CYA test. Firstly, because he has probably forgotten more then I will ever know about pools, but just in my limited experience I have seen pool stores and their funky CYA tests. I took two samples to two stores, one right after another. One said 90 and the other 131 - a 40 point difference. At that time I was testing it at 200+. Both told me that because I said the water was clear to keep doing what I was doing. Both also suggested more pucks.....

Thanks for the reply guys. You guys are right, I may have jumped the gun on saying I finished SLAM'ing. Admittedly, I am a new pool owner. I guess I thought I was at least close to the finish line after I got results back from Leslie. Forecast calls for a week of heavy rain, so now I just have to keep that in mind. The thing that I'm really concerned about is my CYA level. I know the previous owner of the pool used pucks to chlorinate her pool, which probably explains the high CYA levels. I used liquid bleach (about 7.9% available chlorine according to the label) as my chlorine source for shocking. I am aware of the "shock is a 'verb' and not a noun" saying here on TFP.

The only reason I went to Leslie was to get another data set to compare to. I assumed they would have a better test for CYA then I did. The HTH-6 way only has enough reagent for 2 CYA tests. So I'll test again to see what I get. IIRC, I had entered in my CYA level and goal into the poolcalculator and it told me I had to empty the pool by approx. 50%. I don't know if I want to cross that bridge.

Thanks for the reply guys. You guys are right, I may have jumped the gun on saying I finished SLAM'ing. Admittedly, I am a new pool owner. I guess I thought I was at least close to the finish line after I got results back from Leslie. Forecast calls for a week of heavy rain, so now I just have to keep that in mind. The thing that I'm really concerned about is my CYA level. I know the previous owner of the pool used pucks to chlorinate her pool, which probably explains the high CYA levels. I used liquid bleach (about 7.9% available chlorine according to the label) as my chlorine source for shocking. I am aware of the "shock is a 'verb' and not a noun" saying here on TFP.

The only reason I went to Leslie was to get another data set to compare to. I assumed they would have a better test for CYA then I did. The HTH-6 way only has enough reagent for 2 CYA tests. So I'll test again to see what I get. IIRC, I had entered in my CYA level and goal into the poolcalculator and it told me I had to empty the pool by approx. 50%. I don't know if I want to cross that bridge.
You can buy additional CYA reagent. With my work getting down from 200+ I had to buy a big bottle to be able to conduct numerous tests.

Remember, the highest the test goes is 100, so you may need to test a diluted sample. Mix pool water and tap water 50/50 and then test that. Just remember to double the result.

8 oz Refill for CYA

Is it possible to capture rain water to help dilute the CYA in your pool?

^^^ This

Also... you said you completed a SLAM. Are you sure? A SLAM is not a one time shock that the pool stores love to sell.
How did you complete a SLAM without knowing your true CYA? Did you do it based on 100 ppm CYA?
SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain

Yes, I initiated the SLAM with my initial CYA level reading. I don't have my own FAS-DPD test yet, but my TC AND FC were essentially the same (according to Leslie) which I thikn is a step in the right direction.

- - - Updated - - -

You can buy additional CYA reagent. With my work getting down from 200+ I had to buy a big bottle to be able to conduct numerous tests.

Remember, the highest the test goes is 100, so you may need to test a diluted sample. Mix pool water and tap water 50/50 and then test that. Just remember to double the result.

8 oz Refill for CYA

Is it possible to capture rain water to help dilute the CYA in your pool?

Thanks for the tip and the link. I'm going to order some more reagent. I don't have any large vessels to collect water, so the pool will get diluted with whatever it collects. I'll have to do some research on TFP on how to safely lower the water level (to lower CYA) without damaging my pool .

If you have a lot of rain coming up this week you may want to lower your water level a few inches each day and let the rain water replace it to help lower your CYA. Also now is a great time to get a TF-100 kit ordered from Dave, it should get there in just a couple of days since he is in NC.

attachment.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went to Leslie's for the first time today. Nice selection of toys and replacement parts, but pricey! Anyhoo- I just went to pick up those little plastic thingamabob clips that hold your net onto your pole, I figured I'd have them test my water. Lordie, what a sell on phosphates! Almost using scare tactics.
I tested my water myself (via TF-100) immediately on returning home for comparison.

Leslies CL- 4
My CL- 8.5

Leslie's CH-150
My CH- 240

Leslie's CYA- 50
My CYA- 25 (yeah, we had a little water replacement last week with both back-washing and then when Skippy accidentally left Polaris 165 pool cleaner hooked up but removed to side of pool- when pump turned on we lost a bunch of water onto the cement. Oy.)

The guy pushed for 15 pounds of CH as well as a big regime of chemical to deal with the supposed scary high Phosphates (1000). He also tried to say if I didn't get more CH in there I'd negate any warranty on equipment.

Yup, that testing was worth exactly what I paid for it. Nada.

If you have a lot of rain coming up this week you may want to lower your water level a few inches each day and let the rain water replace it to help lower your CYA. Also now is a great time to get a TF-100 kit ordered from Dave, it should get there in just a couple of days since he is in NC.

That's a good idea. I might as well take advantage of free water. I pulled the trigger on the FAS/DPD test and more CYA reagent from TFP.

I went to Leslie's for the first time today. Nice selection of toys and replacement parts, but pricey! Anyhoo- I just went to pick up those little plastic thingamabob clips that hold your net onto your pole, I figured I'd have them test my water. Lordie, what a sell on phosphates! Almost using scare tactics.
I tested my water myself (via TF-100) immediately on returning home for comparison.

Leslies CL- 4
My CL- 8.5

Leslie's CH-150
My CH- 240

Leslie's CYA- 50
My CYA- 25 (yeah, we had a little water replacement last week with both back-washing and then when Skippy accidentally left Polaris 165 pool cleaner hooked up but removed to side of pool- when pump turned on we lost a bunch of water onto the cement. Oy.)

The guy pushed for 15 pounds of CH as well as a big regime of chemical to deal with the supposed scary high Phosphates (1000). He also tried to say if I didn't get more CH in there I'd negate any warranty on equipment.

Yup, that testing was worth exactly what I paid for it. Nada.

Your results for CH are very interesting to me....remarkably similar to what I got. I measured 250 with my own test for CH, while Leslie measured 170. The guy did try to sell me on raising my CH as well as lowering phosphates. Coincidence? Who knows.

Your results for CH are very interesting to me....remarkably similar to what I got. I measured 250 with my own test for CH, while Leslie measured 170. The guy did try to sell me on raising my CH as well as lowering phosphates. Coincidence? Who knows.

It's part of their training. Unfortunately it's SALES training. I don't think they put much stock in chemistry training.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.