Pool in a hillside/slope

Jun 8, 2014
York, PA
This project is getting out of hand. Maybe i should have stoped in here before this all started. lol
I bought a 30x15 pool. My yard has a big hill. We planed on putting the pool in the hill about 20". To try and save what little flat ground we do have. I have hired a company to install the pool this Friday. But now i am concerned that i just cant backfill against it. The hill goes up for about 40' behind the pool.
I guess my question is....What can or should i do? Retaining wall or just backfill and put a couragated drain set in rocks around the backside to flow the water around it? Attached is an image.
Also the budget is already spent. LOL

Thanks for all the help.
-Patrick

dig.jpg

Hey neighbor. I sat for 3 years and wondered how I would slay my hill.

And there you have it!

Rounding the corner to an Above Ground Pool Build

We are putting a deck behind ours on the hillside. I have not backfilled the pool and will not. I do not get puddled water. The dirt is clay with a lot of fill. The hill is pretty stable and once the deck goes in, I feel 100% that it will not go anywhere, at all. Our pool was recessed into the hill a lot more than yours. in a couple pics, you can see the cut hillside above the wall of the pool.

Good luck and keep us posted!

A drain of some kind is a really really good idea. You need something to direct surface water around the pool. A french drain implies buried, which it doesn't strictly need to be. A simple drainage ditch will probably work if it is sloped correctly.

TY Casey and Jason.
Casey I cant see the pics in your link. Ill have to try when i get back to the house.
My plan was to put landscape fabric against the pool wall and wrap it back about a foot. Put in a couragated pipe with a sock on it and fill about 16" up with gravel. Then cover the remaning 4" with dirt.
Any chance that works?

What about the dirt pushing against the pool?

Seriously thanks.

Many people partially bury their pools, though it usually voids the warranty. Dirt can be up against the pool as long as the dirt isn't put there until the pool is filled to at least that level. That can create problems down the line if the pool ever needs to be drained, or springs a leak, but most of the time that can be dealt with, and it doesn't normally come up much, if at all.

The main issue is that you will get accelerated corrosion on the buried parts of the frame. Accelerated is often not very fast, just faster than it might be otherwise. Though in some cases that does end up being a problem.

This project is getting out of hand. Maybe i should have stoped in here before this all started. lol
I bought a 30x15 pool. My yard has a big hill. We planed on putting the pool in the hill about 20". To try and save what little flat ground we do have. I have hired a company to install the pool this Friday. But now i am concerned that i just cant backfill against it. The hill goes up for about 40' behind the pool.
I guess my question is....What can or should i do? Retaining wall or just backfill and put a couragated drain set in rocks around the backside to flow the water around it? Attached is an image.
Also the budget is already spent. LOL

Thanks for all the help.
-Patrick

View attachment 30408

you could use cinder blocks reinforced with thick rebar to make sure they dont move and build a wall up against the pool... say 6-8 inches away to where the blocks start where the top rail stops to keep dirt off of pool, then backfill up against the cinderblock wall. then use some type of cap stones or coping stones to cover top of cinderblock wall.

I thought about doing that on ours, but I bought a pool that retains warranty even buried, so im not going to worry about dirt up against it. my slope is as flat as a pancake compared to yours and Casey's though...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.