50,000 BTU heat pump not hot, assume this normal?

May 19, 2014
NB
I just installed my new Raypac heat pump, the water is 62.5 °, it is kicking out cold air, compressor is running, I just assumed the water would be warm coming out of the pump. But I suppose it's just a long process and the cold water is giving it a fight?

The water coming out should only be a few degrees warmer than the pool water, perhaps 1 to 5 degrees depending on the size of the pump. It is difficult to detect that small of a temperature difference without a very accurate thermometer. Over time that small temperature increase accumulates and the pool gets noticeably warmer, but it takes time.

What is the air temp ? If the air is a bit cool as well, as Jason suggested the temp might be on the low side of what he mentioned.

But when the air is not, I can for sure ALWAYS feel a temp differential. It does take 10 minutes or so to fully kick in and heat the water...not sure how long you waited to test of course.

Then again my HP is roughly 3 times your size...so that might have something to do with it.

Thanks guys, I think it's built for maintaining heat, I'm just used to the 5 Ton that heats the house. What's tough is one unit cooling the house and one unit heating the pool running at the same time!!!

I am not too familiar with heat pumps on pools. I don't think there is one in my area so I may be way off on this... 50,000 BTU is not a very big heat source. How big is this pool? I do know that heat pumps do take a long time to achieve water temps.

I am not too familiar with heat pumps on pools. I don't think there is one in my area so I may be way off on this... 50,000 BTU is not a very big heat source. How big is this pool? I do know that heat pumps do take a long time to achieve water temps.

Just to put things in perspective though...with my HP, I can raise the temp about 8 degrees in a decent day (that is about 10 hours of run time, so nearly a degree an hour)....yes this is not as fast as NG, but not too shabby. Also the size pool, air, water and size all play into this.

Compared to the PAIN of paying to fill the LP tanks for my pools heater I'd rather be paying the electric bill for the heat pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesome...I really think HP are a bit misunderstand and under appreciated...promise you that cost less than heating with NG. GREAT JOB!

+1 on that. I think you have to hit someone over the head with the savings to get them to appreciate them. Same as one for your homes heating and cooling. The up front cost is easily made up in cost to operate.

I was curious if it could be used to cool also ?? Not needed here in WI but might be nice in AZ, CA ...

+1 on that. I think you have to hit someone over the head with the savings to get them to appreciate them. Same as one for your homes heating and cooling. The up front cost is easily made up in cost to operate.

I was curious if it could be used to cool also ?? Not needed here in WI but might be nice in AZ, CA ...

Some HP are reversible, i.e. for cooling, but most of them are just for heat. Mine is just for heat.

And the lower the outside temp, the less heat they produce. Efficiency drops, until all output can cease around 50 degrees (models vary), and you run the risk of it freezing up (most have built in protections and defrost cycles to protect it).

Outside temp 23° C or 73° American...haha... It made good heat even thou it didn't feel like it, no problem using flex with those temps. I heat and cool my home with a 5 Ton HP, with very high electric rates and I'm still 1/2 the cost of oil or propane.
Pretty sure they are not built with the reversing valve for cooling.

Pretty sure they are not built with the reversing valve for cooling.

Did some research and yes they do. http://www.poolheatpumps.com/PoolChillers.htm That would be nice if you lived where it's really hot. My problem is getting it hot before I have to cover it for the winter !!

Wish I could trade my LP heater for one. Looks to be way cheaper to run.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.