LQ mod to increase flow rate

DLSDO

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Midwest
First off...Thanks Rabbit...this is a modification of his idea.

I have a LQ that gets a flow rate of "2.5 to 3" tops. I run my pump 24/7 & use 12% bleach and based on my swimmer load and sunlight was unable to maintain an adequate FC.

Here is my modification.

After filter...stock saddle...3/8" ID flow valve (connects on the outside of the tube)....stock tube to LQ....out of LQ by stock tube....3/8" ID x 1/2" ID barb converter....1/2" ID tubing!!!!....another 1/2" ID barb x 3/8" ID converter...stock tube...flowmeter....stock tube....3/8" ID flow valve...stock saddle....Pump

This has increased my flow rate adequate to maintain my FC. It was not a dramatic increase but enough. Also..having a flow control valve @ the install locations I am able to run my pool pump and turn off the LQ to fill, clean and winterize.

Here are some pics.

After filter into LQ
Pics008.jpg

Out of LQ
Pics009.jpg

Through flowmeter
Pics007.jpg

Back to the pool
Pics008.jpg

Nice work, the big thing is to keep the 1/4 inch section 100% as short as possible. The 1/4 inch line will drop pressure pretty fast. In very small sections it's not dramatic.

I'll have my new plastic parts on Monday as well as a 3/8 ID ball valve exactly like the one supplied with EQ only bigger.

I'm maintaining a FC level now using a flow rate of ~3.75 w/10% and about 8 hours a day. Pretty light swimmer load. But AZ sun.

Looks good.

Just some numbers (roughly)

@ 1.5 GPM 1 ft of 1/4 inch line will drop around 1.27 PSI of pressure
@ 2.0 GPM 1 ft of 1/4 inch line will drop around 2.21 PSI of pressure

@ 1.5 GPM 2 ft of 1/4 inch line will drop around 2.54 PSI of pressure
@ 2.0 GPM 2 ft of 1/4 inch line will drop around 4.41 PSI of pressure

@ 1.5 GPM 3 ft of 1/4 inch line will drop around 3.81 PSI of pressure
@ 2.0 GPM 3 ft of 1/4 inch line will drop around 6.66 PSI of pressure

Do you see how it sharply jumps up.

Now lets look at some larger stuff

@ 2.0 GPM 3 ft of 1/2 inch line will drop around 0.188 PSI of pressure
@ 2.0 GPM 3 ft of 3/8 inch line will drop around 0.814 PSI of pressure

@ 1.5 GPM 10 ft of 1/4 inch line will drop around 12.71 PSI of pressure
@ 1.5 GPM 10 ft of 3/8 inch line will drop around 1.57 PSI of pressure
@ 1.5 GPM 10 ft of 1/2 inch line will drop around 0.368 PSI of pressure

I think everyone can see the point here. If you don't have at least the pressure coming to and from your pump to cover the head loss (drop) at the gallons per minute you are trying to achieve you end up settling for a limited rate based on the hose size and length.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.