Pump replacement help needed

bags23

Dec 14, 2012
Groves, Texas
I currently have a Hayward super 2 pump with a ao smith b809 2 hp motor on it. I would like to replace the motor with a 2 speed motor. The pool is 26000 gallons. Do I need a 2 hp motor or can I downsize? Can anyone point me to the correct motor.
Thanks

Downsizing might be possible but it depends your setup.

Do you have a spa, water fall or any other high flow water feature?

If not, then yes, you could probably downsize but you would need to downsize both the motor and impeller.

It depends. What is the service factor of the old motor? Super II comes in both full and up rated versions. Also, what voltage is it currently wired for?

EcoTech 1.5 in. ? Or did you mean a 1.5 HP. You could if you down size the impeller for the appropriate THP (service factor * HP).

Time will tell on the reliability of the motor but for any VS, if you live in an area with lightning, you should probably add surge protection to protect your investment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That should do it, just make sure that you get the 56J version of the EZ. Also, I think you could use the 1.5 EZ with your current impeller if you never run it at full speed. The HP ratings are so close that it shouldn't be an issue. Just limit the RPM to 3400 and you should be fine. Plus the controller has overload protection.

It should if it has lightning protection. But you should make sure that the pool service panel actually goes through the SP. It isn't a given.

The HP ratings are so close that it shouldn't be an issue. Just limit the RPM to 3400 and you should be fine. Plus the controller has overload protection.
I can only repeat what I posted before. I am not sure what other information you might need. If it has shipped already, there is no reason to return it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.