Lots of sand in my pool

May 31, 2013
St.Louis, MO
I've looked at a few other threads that people had posted, sorry if this gets asked a lot.

I bought my house as a foreclosure a year and a half ago, so this is my 2nd season with a pool. I'm not sure if this problem was there for the last people, but I sure am having it. I was too focused on other things/learning to take care of the pool to look for a solution for this last year.

My pool filter leaks a lot of sand into the pool. It takes an hour or more to vacuum the entire bottom of my pool with the electric vacuum to make sure I get it all up. It's the biggest thing that's made the pool not fun for me (spending way more time cleaning than actually being able to use it). Now there are other things like bugs and what not when I vacuum, but the filter sock in my vacuum becomes completely coated in sand very quickly, resulting in me having to clean it out many times to keep cleaning the pool.

Couple details: I believe I have a Hayward filter, but am not sure because the label has worn off. I've had the top off when I took most of the pipes apart and put them back together (seemed to make everything seal better). I know I also could use a new Pump O-Ring. There used to be a pool heater (stolen in the foreclosure), but I had the piping redone to delete that. I always rinse the filter after I backwash it for ~30 seconds. Whenever I test the water, the levels are good and CC=0.

I need to get this fixed, Unless I can find someone to do it for a reasonable price, I don't mind troubleshooting/attempting to fix myself. I may pop the top off and see if I can see any cracks on the inside. I'm also worried that this might be bad for my SWG?

Water after half a week.
v33bJKt.jpg

XvtRxOF.jpg

Equipment (Everything is listed in my signature)
ruko3so.jpg

laV8zbq.jpg

I have one (in the picture below). I guess I was originally told I should use that with the filter set to waste so I only use it when I open my pool (as not to lose a ton of water/chemicals).

Now that you're asking about it, it seems like I could probably use this and keep the filter on "filter," but use a skimmer a sock?

41iBTfCDBDL.jpg

Now that you're asking about it, it seems like I could probably use this and keep the filter on "filter," but use a skimmer a sock?
Use that device and pump the water directly into your filter.......that's what filters do....forget the skimmer sock.

That's a pretty rudimentary one so at some point you may want to invest in a larger head but that is the device to clean your pool with.....that electric thing is a toy compared to the vacuuming capability of a true vacuum head.

Backwash your filter when the psi gauge goes up by 25%. Backwash it now if you haven't done so in a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.