Valve Actuator CVA-24T has stopped working

Jun 8, 2014
Houston
I have a valve actuator (CVA-24T) that has stopped rotating. When I place the switch to On1 or On2, I can feel the motor inside trying to work but the gears apparently are frozen. Is this a serviceable device? The cheap-skate in me is probably going to open it up and take a look inside. However, before I do this I wanted to pick the brain of someone who knows more about this than I. Is there anything I should look for first? How much current is too much current for this DC motor? I did remove the actuator from the valve and then I tried to force-ably turn the valve but it didn't budge. Thanks in advance if you can offer any words of advice.

Tom

This turned out to be much easier of a fix than I ever imagined. If you have this same problem, you can probably fix it in less than 5 minutes. Apparently the gears just freeze and need a gentle "giggly giggly".:bounce:

1. Turn off your main pool water pump.
2. Remove the handle from the uncooperative valve and unscrew the 4 screws holding the top of the valve box cover in place. Gently pull up and remove the cover.
3. Unscrew the 2 screws holding the round motor within the valve box. Gently lift the motor up and out of the gear housing.
4. Very briefly cycle the electrical On1/Off/On2 switch to verify that the motor does indeed work.
5. With the plastic handle that you removed in step 2, turn the valve just a little bit in order to verify that the gears turn. If they do, you are in luck and can reassemble the entire valve actuator. Your problem is fixed. If the gears do not turn, you will need to remove the shroud from around the gear assembly and see if you can spot the trouble. Most likely, a gear has broken or come off it's track and you will need to replace the everything. There are no repair kits.
6. Reassemble the valve and test. That is all it takes.

Note: Do not remove the motorized valve box from the valve itself. You can if you really want to but you need to be very careful that you put it back together exactly as you found it. Some Valve Actuators are 90 degree movement and others are 180 degree movement. You will confuse yourself if you start turning valves full circle or remove the electrical box from the valve itself. The CVA-24T is a 24 volt AC powered motor. It will not kill you if you get shocked but you may loose a lot of cool points in front of your kids if you start screaming for momma. Use common sense working with live wires.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.