CYA confusion after AA treatment

Oct 6, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen:

I am two weeks past a successful AA treatment to lift staining from a vinyl liner. I am now getting test results that are basically not measuring any CYA, when I was high all last year. In the middle of last season, CYA was 100 and I had to partial drain to get it down to around 75. I wasn't really testing CYA this spring, assuming it wasn't moving. Now after AA treatment, I am having difficulty keeping any FC levels at all, and am not registering CYA with my test kit. Can the AA treatment directly affect CYA, or can the CYA deplete on its own, or should I look at replacing my reagent?

Stumped again...

Thanks.

FC 0-4.0
pH 7.2
TA 110
CH 130
CYA 0-?

CYA can vanish sometimes, especially over the winter when FC goes to zero for a long period.

As long as your CYA reagent is less than two years old, I would go ahead and add more CYA. If your test reagent is older, there is some chance that the reagent has gone bad, so I would try to double check the CYA reading somehow before adding more.

Thanks-I suppose I will have the local pool store recheck the level for me. Any suggestions for bringing CYA up?... I haven't had to do that before because it has always been high. Thanks again.

You raise CYA with cyanuric acid, sold under several names: stabilizer and conditioner are the two most common. Those names are also sometimes used for other products so check the ingredients. You are looking for 95+% cyanuric acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.