Yucky water - Update, lost prime again

hlemon

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2008
I'm not sure where to put this, since it's about equipment, but I am also just getting started. :lol:

Our pump lost its prime, I'm not really sure how, but it did.

When we reprimed it and turned it back on this morning....some really nasty cloudy water came out for about a minute and then started running clean again.

Is this normal?

I am REALLY concerned about our entire plumbing system because the people that built the pool for the previous owners don't appear to know what they're talking about half the time.

Re: Yucky water coming out of returns

Same as you would for backwash. Right after you backwash you turn off the pump, move the handle to rinse and turn the pump back on. It just gets rid of all the yucky residual stuff before it goes back into the pool.

I didn't rinse it, but I didn't backwash...at least I didn't backwash on PURPOSE! :lol:

If you lose your prime in your pump, is it the same effect as backwashing it upon startup?

I love it here, you guys know EVERYTHING!!!

Not necessarily. However whenever you don't rinse after backwashing you can get dirt back into the pool through the returns. It is exactly as you described it - initially dirty and then clear.

I guess running your pump without prime and then getting it back, can lead to a little bit of dirt in the pipes. I wouldn't let it worry you unless it is a continual problem.

In the future, if you lose your prime, you may want to rinse first and then pump the water back into the pool to see if that helps.

What is your pressure reading on your pump?

I think that if it's green and your pressure is down, that it's time to backwash your pump.

(I think) :oops:

Yesterday, my pump ran from 7am to 5pm. I then turned it off for the night after my laps and didn't try to turn in back on til this morning.

I've lost the prime again. What would cause me to just start losing my prime all of the sudden???

Help! :shock:

Nevermind guys.

I found the thread about leaks, so I am going to try and find out where I might be losing my prime. We haven't checked any of the PVC pipes in a while, I'm really hoping we just have a small leak there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.