Spa Perfect and borates...OK...or trouble?

wpbucher

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 7, 2012
South-Central Pennsylvania
I have a hot tub with a CSWG. I add borates to the hot tub, just like I do for our swimming pool. I had some foaming issues. The fact that I keep CH at zero makes my hot tub very susceptible to foaming. Per TFP, I started using Spa Perfect. That helped a great deal.

Last weekend about 16 teenagers displaced about 1/3 of the water out of the hot tub. After refilling, I added borates.

It then occurred to me that perhaps borates and Spa Perfect might not go together. The Spa Perfect instructions say to add when FC is less than 3 ppm. I assume this is to prevent the FC from quickly oxidizing the Spa Perfect.

Do borates render Spa Perfect less effective?

I was not sure whether to post this question here or in the water chemistry forum.

Thanks for your help TFP!!!

Just to remind others as to why this user is keeping their CH so low, they have the ACE saltwater sanitizing system and it needs a very low CH due to the special boron-doped diamond electrodes it uses. Otherwise, for regular spas, keeping the CH at around 120-150 ppm is usually enough to prevent most foaming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.