Piles of leaves - was that my problem

Jul 25, 2011
Huntsville, AL
So I've been fighting to clear my pool for 3 weeks. I made progress to the point where I was starting to see the bottom of the shallow end. I remembered that I had not really scooped out leaves in the deep end all that much so I decided to do that this morning.

OMG. I probably have pulled 15-20 pool nets full of leaves out. All scoops were full with algae. Could this be why my pool was not clearing? I'm slamming it now and it is losing 3ppm of chlorine. I'm shocking at 20. Hourly it is dropping to 17. When should I expect an improvement?

I expect it was at least a big part of the problem. If you can stay at it with hourly dosing and brush it a couple of times today you should see improvement in chlorine consumption later today and visible improvement tomorrow.

I'm willing to bet there's STILL another 15-20 scoops you could physically remove if you can't see bottom. Clearing all major debris you can possibly get out is always Step 1. What are your full test results including cya?

I'm willing to bet there's STILL another 15-20 scoops you could physically remove if you can't see bottom. Clearing all major debris you can possibly get out is always Step 1. What are your full test results including cya?

I'm going to test in an hour. My CYA was at 50 yesterday. PH was at 7.4 this morning. I'll redo everything and post results at around 1145.

Every time I test and adjust I'm pulling out leaves. It seems like I'm pulling out less. I'm still getting about 5 good scoops each time. I think they settle between when I'm testing. I feel like an idiot. I've wasted 3 weeks because of mounds of leaves in the deep end of my pool.

We want to take you from feeling like an idiot to feeling good about taking control of your own pool with a solid knowledge base. I assure you that you're not the only one that has been in that boat before. Keep at it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.