Heyward S244T Problems

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
Hi guys:
I opened my pool a few weeks ago and was able to get the water clear and balanced. However I am having a few issues with my filter I think.
1) It has a very slight leak along the top of the filter where the multiport valve meets the filter. I have tightened the two screws to no avail, it still has a very slight leak. Keep in mind its only three years old so it would be odd for the O ring to be worn out already I would think.

2) When I vacuum the pool, I don't seem to be able to get all the dirt out of the pool and it seems to me that more dirt seems to be in the pool than normal and I have to vacuum more frequently.

Advice ? Considering again its only three years old, I would think it would be odd to have to swap out the sand.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

There is almost never any reason to replace sand. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with the sand it's self.

You two problems sound unrelated.

The leak could easily be a small bit of debris in the seal at that point. They best thing to do is to open up the joint and carefully clean and lubricate all of mating surfaces with a silicone or teflon based plumbers lubricant.

For you second point, could you give us more description? That isn't very much to go on. One quick test you could do is to tie a stocking or skimmer sock onto the return fitting so it will catch any debris that makes it trough the filter. If you catch stuff, there is an issue with the filter, if you don't the problem is elsewhere.

One thing I've noticed is that pollen, seeds and just general crud from trees is way more abundant this year than most years. I guess most trees have responded to the bad winter by putting out more seeds.

Excellent idea Jason. I will put one of my stockings on the return. Well not one of mine, but my wifes, if I had them that would be a little weird :)
As far as the sand filter is concerned, do I basically just disconnect all the lines and unscrew the top, lift it up a little bit and put a silicone lube around the rim ?

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I've noticed is that pollen, seeds and just general crud from trees is way more abundant this year than most years. I guess most trees have responded to the bad winter by putting out more seeds.
Yes I have noticed that too. Does your filter grab all of the pollen and seeds ?

Yep, remove the multiport and take off the o-ring. Inspect it for nicks, cuts. Put a thin layer of silicone/PTFE based lubricant on the ring if it looks good. If you can't completely remove the valve due to connections, inspect as best you can and try to lightly lubricate. Put the o-ring back on the valve and align on the top of the filter. When you tighten the bolts on each side of the ring clamp, tighten them equally. A few turns on one side, then the other, back and forth. When it starts to get slightly snug, tap firmly on each side of the ring clamp with the handle of your screwdriver between cycles of tightening each side. This helps the o-ring seat evenly. Tighten screws until good and snug, not gorilla twist tight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.