HELP! Pool Legs Sinking!!

Cassi

Jun 8, 2014
Laurel,ms
Post moved by Brushpup. Please begin a new thread if you need help. Don't ask questions of your own on another persons thread.

Helppppp!! My husband and I are just sick! We made sure our ground was level and set pavers around the 22x52 intex ultra frame pool, we thought everything was good, until we had a hard rain last night, now some of our legs slipped off the pavers and sunk into the mud! Her just went back to walmart and purchased more pavers and we are draining the pool enough to try to dig down into this muddy mess to relevel! If anyone has any suggestions we need them now because he has to leave going back to work for 2 weeks this evening. The pool wasn't but an inch off but it was about to collapse in one spot real bad and we don't want our kids getting hurt. We had the pool filled with water and have drained it and it's about a third of the way drained! Please help! Desperate in MS:/

Probably not the answer you want, but the ground sounds like it was too soft to begin with. I think you will continue to have the same problem until a good base in put down.

It does sound like you have very soft ground.... You may have to do more work in order to get your ground prepped and that will probably involve laying down a good layer of crushed rock and compacting it till you get a level, firm base.... Its not too expensive and it will definitely improve your ground.... Then put your pavers down, level again, foam insulation and pool.... I'm going through the exact same thing at the moment... Its hard work...

It is possible to jack up the legs and replace/build up the pavers underneath them. That is what I did last year when I got some washout on one side of the pool after a big storm, it's been solid since.

Be extremely careful when jacking like this. I followed the picture I found on another site that showed how to use a bottle jack and some lumber to do this and the very first post I tried to jack the lumber dolly I had made kicked out and hit me pretty hard. In the end I decided to drain the pool more and tied my jacking dolly to each post before jacking. $40 in water is cheaper than $400 in the E.R. with a broken arm or worse.

Just for future reference, here is how I did mine this year. My ground is heavily clay so I encountered some sinkage last year, not a lot, but enough that I noticed it and it bothered me.

I used 4" of crush and run gravel and used a plate compactor to really pack it down. I made sure to pack tight the pavers so nothing would move. Granted this is hindsight for you, but hopefully it may help in the future.
Pool Base.jpg

Be extremely careful when jacking like this. I followed the picture I found on another site that showed how to use a bottle jack and some lumber to do this and the very first post I tried to jack the lumber dolly I had made kicked out and hit me pretty hard. In the end I decided to drain the pool more and tied my jacking dolly to each post before jacking. $40 in water is cheaper than $400 in the E.R. with a broken arm or worse.

Yes, do be careful with jacking, especially with a bottle jack. Mine kicked out a couple of times as well, but it is pretty easy to see when it is going to happen if you are paying attention and which direction it will kick. The trick is to make sure the bottle jack is perfectly aligned with the piece of wood being used to lift the leg, if you see even a slight deviation in the alignment, let it down and adjust your jack alignment. Slow and steady wins the race when trying to do this. An engine lift is much better for this, but I didn't have access to one of those.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.