Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Many Times Can I Clean a Filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

How Many Times Can I Clean a Filter?

I have the cheapie paper filters in my pump. I figure it costs me 1.50<>2.00 to clean a filter (6 -8 cleanings from a 12.00 bottle of cleaner) The throwaway wally world filters cost about 6 bucks, the better ones at the pool place are about the price of the cleaner. How many times can I clean the filters before they are no good? The filter media is intact - no rips, tears, etc. I have 4 filters and rotate them every 5 days or so and I clean two at once.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How Many Times Can I Clean a Filter?

I reuse them until they wearout. Sometimes thet last a month. I spray them every 2 days and soak them twice a week in a little dishqasher powder.
    Cheryl
    14X42 Intex Ultra Frame

3. Back To Top    #3

The "throw-away" Wally World filters are pretty tough and generally last a while. You can keep reusing them until one of two things happens. The cart gets a tear or hole in which case it will let debris through, or it gets so dirty that dishwashing detergent won't clean it. When that happens, you will get no flow, even after cleaning.

Also, the Cart cleaner (if it's specifically for that) is probably a waste of money. Just soak them in dishwasher soap every once in a while. Normal daily(or however often you do it) cleaning can just be done with the hose and a good nozzle.

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the tip on the dishwasher powder. I will keep using these filters till they wear out then. I already know when I take them out of the pump if I spray with the hose it gets most of the gunk off.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

5. Back To Top    #5

The paper 'throw away' filters are not meant to be cleaned. They just don't filter well after cleaning. They really should be replaced. You CAN get polyester filters from thrid party suppliers like Aladdin/Worldpool and Unicel that are cleanable and will last about 3-5 years fairly inexpensively for the intex pools (they are the only ones I know of that use the paper throw away filters---this is a way for them to make money on filters since they need to be replaced about weekly!)

6. Back To Top    #6

This is good to know. I've only see pics of the intex filters....didn't realize they were meant to be tossed weekly. That explains a lot. I think there are many intex users on here who are hosing them off and using them most of the summer.....rather than tossing them....I suspect that could be part of the reason why so many intex users are complaining about their pool water....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com