My daughters pool

marksj

Jun 8, 2014
New Windsor
New here to the forum and I feel like I have maybe found a gold mine of knowledge and truth to help my daughter.
1 Her pool is in ground 18 X 36 3ft to 6ft and has 2 buddy seats.
2 She always has a terrible time "starting up" the pool each spring(I got her a test kit last year she lives an hour away and we are headed up there today.I will check to see what I bought here and post results here later.
3 She has a Waterway sand filter.The bottom cap is leaking somewhere.Not sure if threads or what but we have unions to cut in lines to rotate filter and see what is going on.
4 She is a rush to the Pool store gal:eek: and and hoping to convince her after showing her this site to take a different approach.
5 Anything else I can answer I will but I know you will want test results to provide needed help.
6 Thanks for any help, suggestions and advice you may have.I do not think I am as stubborn as her must have got that trait from wife:D:

Welcome Mark!

What kind of kit did you get for her? Yes we will need numbers to help. Hopefully you can do something to convince her to open up to doing this the easy way.

Let us know how we can help.

Yes kit is k-2006 regents are 2 yrs old. Had flocked pool before i got there and they swept junk off bottom.Took samples but they are off
Cfc 0
Ph 7.4
Ta 130
Ch 100
cya less than 20
Hey, it beats having CYA through the roof! Selling her on a drain might be difficult. What does it look like? Where are the gory pictures?

A couple bags of dichlor shock to appease her pool store mentality and raise CYA while lowering TA, and then bleach it clean!

tmp_20140608_170909-1088404926.jpgtmp_20140608_170909-1088404926.jpg
Hey, it beats having CYA through the roof! Selling her on a drain might be difficult. What does it look like? Where are the gory pictures?

A couple bags of dichlor shock to appease her pool store mentality and raise CYA while lowering TA, and then bleach it clean!
Well i tried a pic we will see if it works.Have just found out that the leak was in the filter housing so now they need a filter too!Any reccomendations?They are on well water.

- - - Updated - - -

Is clorox bleach the recommended chlorine agent?

What size of the bags of dichlor shock,sorry but i see different sizes in Pounds.Thanks again

What size of the bags of dichlor shock,sorry but i see different sizes in Pounds.Thanks again
Mind you, this is only if she's one of these people who has been brainwashed by the pool store to think bleach is bad and powders are good and "shock" is necessary.... it's much simpler to add each chemical singly.

Head over to poolmath and use the calculator on the bottom to get the approximate volume. I just plugged things in and got 19500. It could really be anything from 15000 to 20000; if she has a better number, use it.

Go plug that volume in at the top of poolmath. Then go way down again and use Effects of Adding Dhemicals. In a 19500 gallon pool, 16 oz of dichlor will raise FC by 3.4 and CYA by 3.1.

CYA is less than 20.... call it 10. You want to get to about 30, so you need 20 CYA. 7 lbs of dichlor will do it. So buy seven 1 lb bags or some combination to add up to 7 lbs. Read the label! There are three common and two less common powders all sold as "shock" You want dichlor powder.

SLAM level for zero CYA is 10. Up at the top, put "now" FC at zero and target 10. Select dichlor. Voila! 47 oz. That's close enough to 48. Add three pounds.

In an hour, and don't forget to filter and brush to mix it all, recheck FC and put that reading as the "now" and target 10 again.

In another hour or two, target 11. When all the powder has been used up, FC target is 12 and you can switch to bleach for the rest of the SLAM.

Too complicated? Forget the dichlor, add the CYA separately, and just use bleach to clear the pool.

And again, this is only if she fusses about the bleach and wants to use "shock." It's much simpler to juggle one number than two or three.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.