rock or something under my new liner

26venus

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, VA
We had our liner replaced about four weeks ago. cost was just over $3,000. Yesterday my son discovered what appears to be a rock under the liner in the shallow end. It seems pretty sharp and sits about 1/4 - 3/8 inch above the bottom. This discovery has me just sick. I've read a lot of varying advice about how to deal with this. Anything from cutting the liner to remove the stone and then patch it to doing nothing other than observing. I really feel like it is too big and too sharp to try any of the options I've found and I just know that it will eventually poke through. I'm going to contact the company that installed it first thing Monday. I'm keeping my fingers X'd that they will make this right but what do I do if they won't fix it?

Just spoke with someone form the installation company. They're coming tomorrow to investigate the object under the liner. He says if it's like I described that they are definitely responsible and it will be corrected by draining the shallow end, removing the object, and refilling at their cost. :D. I'll keep y'all updated. Hopefully all will go as smooth as the phone call

The inconvenience factor sucks, but it's good that they're taking responsibility. Sounds like a responsible company.

They are a very respectable company...been in business for many, many years. When it comes to their retail store and water testing they don't do terribly bad, but they fall a little short of my expectations...but that's another story.

The guy came out yesterday to inspect the object(s). Yes, objects. We figured if they missed one they probably missed more. So we went on a mission scouring the pool floor. As luck would have it we found three, what feel to be rocks. Two in the shallow end and one on the side ramp leading to the deep end, about 1 foot down the ramp (this is the largest but also the smoothest/roundest of the three, maybe the size of a dime). He really spent a good amount of time assessing them and this is what he proposed. The two in the shallow end need to come out. "This is high traffic area with full body weight on them and they're small and a little sharp", although he says he's seen a lot worse. He recommended leaving the one on the ramp as it will be much more difficult to get out and the fact that is smoother and in a low traffic area he felt that it really doesn't pose a threat. He was thoughtful enough to ask if there was a time frame to do the work that would pose the least inconvenience to us which I thought was a good thing. they plan to drain to shallow bottom, remove objects and refill via water truck at their expense, all while we are out of town for a few days. This way when we come home all will be good...except a lot cooler water temp and some additional water balancing needed.

I'm very pleased with everything that was proposed except the one concern about the "left behind" object on the side ramp. Is this something to worry about or is he correct in his assessment?

I would get something I writing stating that the one being left did not pose a threat and they know it's there. That way in future if something changes you have it in writing that they knew about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would get something I writing stating that the one being left did not pose a threat and they know it's there. That way in future if something changes you have it in writing that they knew about it

That's good advice. I have already discussed this with them and they've been very good to deal with

Where did the rocks come from? Did they work up through your floor some how or were they dropped in there off their shoes when they put the liner in (most likely).

The new liner has only been in place for about a month so I'm sure it came from the installers some how.

I agree with getting something in writing about them acknowledging the third rock and not wishing to do anything at this time. Otherwise than sounds like a great company.

I just wanted to give everyone a final update on this. The two "problem" gravel have been removed and I have a signed letter from the manager of the construction department giving his approval of how the situation was handled. They actually did the repair on day three of our vacation so by the time we returned home the water temp was back up to 80+ and I only had to make a few adjustments to the chemistry. Long story short...everybody's happy and we're back to swimming again. This company has truly been a pleasure to deal with. I wish that every member of this site had pool builders like this in their area. Thanks to everyone for your advice and ideas. I think this case is closed. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.