My math was wrong for FC

I have been caring for a pool for just over a week now and when i started it was crystal clear and wonderful but had no detectable chlorine level. CYA is just over 100 so I was trying to keep FC at 12. I just realized tonight that I was doing the math wrong and instead of multiplying by .2 with my 25ml sample using the k2006 I was multiplying by .5. So my levels have been around FC 4.8 instead of 12 like I thought.

I currently do not have a detectable problem... but I am wondering if i should bring the FC level up higher then 12 for a bit or just try to keep it at around 12ish?

It is currently still crystal clear and wonderful!!! :D

You should lower your CYA level to something well below 100. The common CYA test reports any level above 100 as 100, so your actual CYA level might be much higher than you think it is.

It is also a good idea to use a 10 ml sample so the FC test goes by 0.5s. Doing the test by 0.2 is just a waste of reagent.

You should lower your CYA level to something well below 100. The common CYA test reports any level above 100 as 100, so your actual CYA level might be much higher than you think it is.

It is also a good idea to use a 10 ml sample so the FC test goes by 0.5s. Doing the test by 0.2 is just a waste of reagent.

I plan to drain some water and lower my CYA soon... It has just been too wet and rainy to do so. it is drying up so i will probably do so early this week.

Just to update... I did develop a problem... algae!

With a dilution test I found CYA to actually be around 220... I drained 3 times and lowered my CYA to 50. I did a SLAM and just finished it yesterday. I had previously stated that my pool was "crystal clear" but I didn't know what that meant... It is AMAZINGLY clear and wonderful now. Thanks to the help of TFP.

edit:wording...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.