Time for a new robot

J20832

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2009
Olney, MD
Well, my 7 year old Dolphin Diagnostic might be done for. The impeller motor is shot and I am having a hard time finding a replacement part, but apparently that is a problem with the Dolphin lines, they are not user serviceable for the most part. So I am looking at replacing it with a Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820 because it looks like a similar type of robot, and I already found sites selling parts so that gives me a little piece of mind. I am looking forward to a cartridge style filter vs. the bag and having a swivel cord so it won't tangle up all the time.

Any feedback on that Prowler 820? Alternatives I should look into?

Don't know, but I love my Dolphin M5. If it lasts 7 years and crashes and burns, I will feel like I got a true bargain. I love having the carts in mine with all our dust. It is an amazing machine. The cord swivel...not so great, so don't get your hopes up too much on that whatever you go with.

If the prowler truly is a dolphin, then I would be thrilled. The 7 years with my dolphin were great, never even had to replace the, worked out to about $80 a season, money well spent. I just figured a different bot that I could actually fix would make more sense economically and the prowler looks like it fits the bill. Sorry to hear about the cord swivel not really working that well, does it just not swivel freely enough?

I still have no clue where or what to got for a robitic. From dolphin to aquabot.

If you go with the Z5, or one of the Dolphin Supreme models like the M4 or M5, you won't be disappointed. I am curious how other brands compare, but this one has been so good, I seriously doubt I will ever try another.

If the prowler truly is a dolphin, then I would be thrilled. The 7 years with my dolphin were great, never even had to replace the, worked out to about $80 a season, money well spent. I just figured a different bot that I could actually fix would make more sense economically and the prowler looks like it fits the bill. Sorry to hear about the cord swivel not really working that well, does it just not swivel freely enough?

No it doesn't as advertised. Even though the cord doesn't tangle severely, or hinder the operation in my 36' pool, it's just a little disappointing to see. A little annoying, but that's all. I get it though, its' a little difficult to make an under water swivel electrical contact.

Funny, I had my dolphin diagnostic die this year. I had mine for 10 years. I consider that a very successful product and has for sure convinced me to buy something from Maytronics again. I did replace the brushes twice, the tracks twice and the guide wheels once. It has really done a great job over the years.

I am looking at a Dolphin Nautilus now. Reviews are very good and the price is right. I am looking forward to less tangles in the cord and no filter bag. Those were my only 2 minor complaints with my Diagnostic.

Both hydropool.com and sunplay.com sell the Nautilus for $599 and free shipping. I know people on this site have reported good dealings with both of those companies.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.