Booster Pump Connection Leak

DKJ

Feb 3, 2012
Hi

I have sch 80 threaded PVC going into the top (output) of the booster pump. This is where it's leaking. The install is 10 or 15 years old. I cut the PVC, unscrewed it, cleaned away the old plumber's tape and inspected for cracks or nicks in the thread. I also cleaned the female threads on the volute output as best I could. I re-taped with plumber's tape and connected. Still leaks. Not sure what to try next.

Don

Thanks for the suggestions and info. Despite my visual inspection of my threads and pipe, I believe I'll replace that piece on my 2nd try. The original is threaded sch 80 but I couldn't find pre-threaded pipe. I bought threaded toe nipples and pipe in case the original piece was damaged. I wish I'd checked the threading of the new pieces for compatibility. How standard are booster pump outlet threading parameters?

My new plan is replace the threaded pipe and use teflon dope instead of tape. I researched that a bit and found RectorSeal Tru-Blu Thread Sealant with PTFE (vibration resistant). Any experience with this product? Anything recommended? Any additional suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Don

Hi

Just to follow up on developments...

I disconnected my previous repair and checked my hardware more carefully. The PVC threads looked good but, with a magnifying glass, I could see the pump's female threads were finely pitted and chipped. The pump motor is fairly new, I replaced that a few years ago, but the mount and plumbing was not. I decided to try the plumber's dope anyway, RectorSeal Tru-Blu Thread Sealant with PTFE (vibration resistant), but I didn't hold out much hope. I let it cure for 24 hrs and tried it out this morning. I ran the system for awhile with no leaks, crossed my fingers and kicked in the booster pump. So far no leaks. The plumber's dope held where the tape did not. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. I found a volute, for my discontinued pump, for $45. If the leaks starts up I'll replace the part. Thanks for the help!

Don

Hi all,

Update--

The plumbers dope held for a week and started to leak again. So I ordered a new volute and replaced that and re-did the plumbing. I figured that's that, since both components of the leak had been replaced. Not so! Three weeks later it's leaking. There's apparently more to this than meets the eye. Could some problem inside the pump cause more pressure and leak? The pool cleaner itself was replaced this summer with a Polaris 3900 Sport. The pump is a Polaris PB4-60. Could an incompatiblity between the two cause a leak like this?

Thanks
DKJ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.